New Build, need opinions

Solution
knock the power supply down to a CX430M (which should be around $25) and go up on the graphics card to 7790 or 78xx if you can. and maybe consider going for intel i3 instead of amd fx. an i3-4130 and a basic h87 motherboard might be better - from what I hear, intel beats amd for this stuff.

by the way - no operating system?

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
knock the power supply down to a CX430M (which should be around $25) and go up on the graphics card to 7790 or 78xx if you can. and maybe consider going for intel i3 instead of amd fx. an i3-4130 and a basic h87 motherboard might be better - from what I hear, intel beats amd for this stuff.

by the way - no operating system?

Solution

derek9fan

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013

I have also heard that intel is better performance wise, I was just going with the AMD for budget reasons, but if there is an intel processor around the same price that would run as well or better then I would definitely consider it. And I will be getting an operating system I just didn't include it in the pcpartpicker.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
an i3-4130 should be around $110 (depending on which country you're in), and the mobo should be similar price to what you currently have. so - no impact on total package price. and performance-wise it'll only be around 10% shy of an i5-4560 or 4570K (stock), which is to say pretty damn good.

I've bought AMD stuff for years, but ended up going i3 for my newbie-gamer build this month (gonna load up some games in the next few days). remains to be seen if I like it enough to ditch AMD altogether.

derek9fan

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013
Okay, I'll definitely look into that. The graphics card will be a little more but I'm sure its worth getting a good one that cost more than a bad one. I've heard decent things about the HD 7850 would that work?

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
why? probably for greater mass appeal. currently intel only really has the core i_ series, whereas amd has the a-series (with graphics) and fx-series (without graphics). i'm guessing the graphics aren't that hard to put on-chip especially since most of the core i_ range uses the same HD4600 stuff (low i3 uses HD4400) - as far as manufacturing, it's a small cost for a wide appeal. just a good business decision.

derek9fan

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013
That makes sense. I think i'm most likely going to go for the HD 7850 I feel like it will be a good first choice, I will be looking to upgrade it eventually but i'm a poor college student at the moment :p

Xibyth

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
Make no mistake, I'm a pretty big Intel fan, I use the 4770 myself. But in terms of gaming, there is a 1-2 frame difference at all times. The problem with going to an i3 is they are dual core with hyperthreading. Most modern games use 4, and a select few use 8, but none use hyperthreading. AMD is a great choice for someone who just wants good gaming performance on a budget. I have tested this for years, your better off with 4 cores over 2, and .4Ghz may not seem like much but on CPU intense games or online games it will make a notable difference sometimes up to 15 fps.