Solved

New Build, need opinions

First PC build, sort of a budget build, need opinions or recommendations on anything!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2oufw

Trying to run most games on decent settings, obviously not too high since it is a budget build. Thanks!
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build opinions
  1. Best answer
    knock the power supply down to a CX430M (which should be around $25) and go up on the graphics card to 7790 or 78xx if you can. and maybe consider going for intel i3 instead of amd fx. an i3-4130 and a basic h87 motherboard might be better - from what I hear, intel beats amd for this stuff.

by the way - no operating system?
  2. giantbucket said:
    knock the power supply down to a CX430M (which should be around $25) and go up on the graphics card to 7790 or 78xx if you can. and maybe consider going for intel i3 instead of amd fx. an i3-4130 and a basic h87 motherboard might be better - from what I hear, intel beats amd for this stuff.

by the way - no operating system?

I have also heard that intel is better performance wise, I was just going with the AMD for budget reasons, but if there is an intel processor around the same price that would run as well or better then I would definitely consider it. And I will be getting an operating system I just didn't include it in the pcpartpicker.
  3. an i3-4130 should be around $110 (depending on which country you're in), and the mobo should be similar price to what you currently have. so - no impact on total package price. and performance-wise it'll only be around 10% shy of an i5-4560 or 4570K (stock), which is to say pretty damn good.

I've bought AMD stuff for years, but ended up going i3 for my newbie-gamer build this month (gonna load up some games in the next few days). remains to be seen if I like it enough to ditch AMD altogether.
  4. Okay, I'll definitely look into that. The graphics card will be a little more but I'm sure its worth getting a good one that cost more than a bad one. I've heard decent things about the HD 7850 would that work?
  5. 7850 should be pretty darn good. up here in Canada we have boxing week sales coming up, so depending on where you are you could see some good deals come up. i used this site to see where cards typically score and how much they cost so i can figure out which deals are "good" and which are "great".

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
  6. That site is very helpful! Thank you for all the help! I have another question, with the i3-4130, why are most of the intel processors integrated graphics too?
  7. why? probably for greater mass appeal. currently intel only really has the core i_ series, whereas amd has the a-series (with graphics) and fx-series (without graphics). i'm guessing the graphics aren't that hard to put on-chip especially since most of the core i_ range uses the same HD4600 stuff (low i3 uses HD4400) - as far as manufacturing, it's a small cost for a wide appeal. just a good business decision.
  8. That makes sense. I think i'm most likely going to go for the HD 7850 I feel like it will be a good first choice, I will be looking to upgrade it eventually but i'm a poor college student at the moment :-P
  9. Make no mistake, I'm a pretty big Intel fan, I use the 4770 myself. But in terms of gaming, there is a 1-2 frame difference at all times. The problem with going to an i3 is they are dual core with hyperthreading. Most modern games use 4, and a select few use 8, but none use hyperthreading. AMD is a great choice for someone who just wants good gaming performance on a budget. I have tested this for years, your better off with 4 cores over 2, and .4Ghz may not seem like much but on CPU intense games or online games it will make a notable difference sometimes up to 15 fps.
Ask a new question

Read More

Games Build New Build