Cant get RAM to stock speeds (1600Mhz) with new Build

Backlash Pro

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013
here are my specs:

Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8)

AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

I have gone into BIOS (which this version is pretty new to me) and tried changing the speed to 1600 and left the voltage at 1.5 (since that is stock as well) but every time I save and exit it gives me a boot failure and says to reboot with optimized BIOS settings.

How can I get the RAM to operate at 1600Mhz and 8-8-8 24?

Jonathan Cave

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
How do you know it's not running at 1600? load cpu-z, click the memory tab. If it's showing as 800mhz in the DRAM frequency , then essentially both RAM modules are running at the correct speed.

In terms of "8-8-8 24" - this can be achieved by adjusting the timings within the bios. i'm not familiar with your m/b but it should be pretty obvious if you enter a few sub menu's.

also have you tried goggling ? this link may help http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/ddr3-1600-not-running-at-specified-speed-on-gigabyte-990fxa-ud3.171398/

Cheers.

Backlash Pro

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013
it wont run 1600Mhz and 8-8-8-24, 1.5 at stock. When I reset bios and plug in the ram, it defaults to 1333, CAS 9. after days of fiddling with it I thought I had the RAM stable at 1600Mhz, 8-8-8-24 and 1.565 volts. I played skyrim maxed out for hours and had no issues at all. When I loaded up Metro Last light and played for about ten minutes, the computer restarted itself. upping the voltage to 1.575 now to see if I still get crashes.

I dont understand how a motherboard that is rated for 1600Mhz RAm and RAM that is stock 1.5, CAS8 and 1600Mhz doesnt just work automatically.

Rhygon

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014
Hi,

Compelled to get involved, this is the latest thread I've found. Not sure if you've got any further...

I have this same ram however I'm using it in a ASUS M5a99FX, however essentially the same spec. Built system over the weekend just gone. I've been scouring the net trying to work this out. I did get mine to work less briefly than you by upping the voltage to 1.55.

Anyway, a couple of threads I've found seem encouraging:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/307148-30-1600-running-1333 (less distinct)
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=95036 (interesting...)

And generally points towards the weak AMD memory controller.

I've just emailed ASUS and CORSAIR with details see what they've got. However, i was originally thinking some fault going on, but after reading, it pertains that it is not because of a fault as such.

I get your frustration though, if it's rated as such it should just work, together with the fact AMD include this memory in the QVL without any mention of potential additional tweaks to get it to work. Plus D.O.C.P seems to be of no use, though i guess that just sets up DRAM Freq, Timings and Mem Voltage (which is possibly wrong for an AMD system), and doesn't touch CPU/NB voltage.

Also read that this memory may require Command Rate setting to 2t, though i think the profile did set that up.

This is the first AMD system I've had the slightest problem with, and wasted so much time playing around with it.

Update:
So I briefly had a look in the bios again last night and tried setting Mem Volts to 1.7, CPU/NB offset to .2 and Command Rate, in Memory Timings, to 2T, upon save and reboot, it did then say the ram was running 1600 and it did detect all 8GB. I have not tested at all though, and set it back to defaults as i was about to install windows and didn't want it crashing.

Some good potential there. Anyway, it all seems a bit pointless having read lots of articles saying the difference between 1333 and 1600 is insubstantial, though having just read this:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2075194/lower-timing-higher-frequency.html
maybe this is indeed worth fighting for.

I will have a proper play again tonight. Plus, should hear from ASUS and/or Corsair today.

Update 25/04/14
So have now heard from ASUS, they are not providing much information regarding motherboard, however have been reading that really this has nothing to do with the motherboards capabilities, and relies on the CPU as that controllers the RAM.

Also have a Corsair thread going, though i don't think the problem really lies with the memory either. Though i will see what advice they can provide.

I can get my computer booting for a while using the settings above (1.7 and +0.2)... though it's not stable.

Going to email AMD to see what they can suggest, i'm thinking the problems the CPU, which i add is sold as being able to run 1866 memory without overclocking.... Maybe they can provide me the settings required for it to run.

Update 5 May:
All support teams point towards the motherboard being at fault. Corsiar stated that if both module work soley then the memory is not at fault. ASUS say it seems like a moherboard problem, so can't argue with that they should know. AMD got back to me and said they thought it was a motherboard issue, though they would. So much reading about AMD memory controller being at fault.

So i have my motherboard being RMA'd - first time i've had to rma something, not ideal - and we will see what turns up. I'm dubious though.

Update: 18th May
So got a replacement board after they found a fault, had my hopes up... exactly the same problem.

really don't want to give up on this, surely you can overclock memory with a AMD rig, is it the CPU... will be continuing trying to get this mystery solved.

Currently the RAM is running at 1333 11-11-11-28... that's not even JEDEC spec which is 9-9-9-27.

Bull!