Run 27" 2560x1440 and a 22" 120hz Monitor?

hpr

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
Hey guys, first time poster so go easy on me please :)

I am just wondering if I am able to run the following:

Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" (2560x1440, main monitor)
Samsung 2233rz 120Hz monitor (secondary)
PowerColor Radeon HD 1GB 6870 GFX

It seems that the graphics card only has a 1 D-DVI port and both of them need it to run there full potential. (Dell = 2560x1440 res, and samsung @ 120hz)
E.G: I plug Dell monitor in DVI-D port, run full res, but samsung can't run @ 120hz. Switch the plugs, Samsung can run @ 120hz, Dell res can't run above 1920x1080 resolution.

So can I run the Dell monitor through DisplayPort? since it says it can run that resolution with displayPort? which cable would I need?

Thanks in advance guys, and Merry Christmas :)

Solution
i found your prob. your monitor mayb of the same size resolution but the dell doesnt support 120hz only the samsung does.its like 2 monitors are trying to communicate with each other only the samsung one is way ahead with 120hz while d dell is downsampling to 60 hz... whic that here your prob lies. best is to always buy 2 identical monitors for eye infinity or multi monitor setup. another option is to set the samsung monitor at 60hz and then try connecting both of dem.btw for future refrence dont bump on toms... :)

hpr

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013

Well according to the Radeon specs:

Maximum Resolution
VGA 2048x1536
DVI 2560x1600
DisplayPort 2560x1600
HDMI 1920x1200

Unsure what a kvm switch is, will look it up.

caj

Distinguished
i found your prob. your monitor mayb of the same size resolution but the dell doesnt support 120hz only the samsung does.its like 2 monitors are trying to communicate with each other only the samsung one is way ahead with 120hz while d dell is downsampling to 60 hz... whic that here your prob lies. best is to always buy 2 identical monitors for eye infinity or multi monitor setup. another option is to set the samsung monitor at 60hz and then try connecting both of dem.btw for future refrence dont bump on toms... :)

Solution

hpr

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013

Hey thanks for the reply and thanks for the tip!

Yeah I had the samsung 120hz monitor for gaming (competitive CSS player) but I quit almost a year ago now, so I wanted a bigger and clearer monitor for movies, browsing and casual gaming, so I bought the Dell IPS monitor. But there will be times where I feel like playing some FPS games and would like to use my Samsung monitor by simply sliding it in front of my Dell monitor, instead of switching the DVI ports (I'm assuming only one DVI port on graphics is DVI-D)

So there is no way I can run both monitors to there full potential?
Maybe a 2nd graphics card?