New GeForce GTX 660/PSU = computer reboot, Why ?

Alans74

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
I recently bought a new PNY GeForce GTX 660 card with a Thermaltake TR2 600W supply. I installed everything as best as I could along with help from a friend of mine. The computer works great ! turns on, browsing around the internet, watching youtube, etc, BUT... when I go to Steam and fire up a game after about 5 min of playing time, if that, the computer shuts off and reboots without warning. Wouldn't the PSU be enough for this card ? What could I be missing?

I would like to add I am not the most tech savvy person when it comes to computers, but I'm doing my part in trying to learn as much as possible about them, thus why I wanted to join this forum.

Computer Specs:
Dell i7-3770 3.40 GHz
8GB Ram
windows 7 64-bit

Alans74

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
Both components are brand new I bought online for cyber monday deals. The PSU from Thermaltake could be bad ? The case of the computer is off when I'm playing and I can hear a faint click like something is trying to turn on or off moments before it shuts off.

Yeah, you may give thermaltake a call.

blademaster123

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

Look at the thread I linked, it says that the Thermaltake TR2 isn't high quality and that you should replace it. Get a good PSU from a good manfacturer for example Seasonic. Seasonic 620W is a good a PSU or you could get an XFX 550W which is also a good psu and should power your GTX 660 with ease