A question about FAN CONFIGURATION...

geetaradam

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
Hey. I need some advice. I have this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144209

It has your typical 120 mm rear exhaust fan, a 120 mm intake fan on the side panel, and a place for a optional (for which I did opt in) 120 mm fan in the bottom front of the case. I have two primary questions.

1. I installed the fan in the front as an intake fan. My thinking was that it would pull air in from the front, while the exhaust fan pushes it out the back, thus creating a single consistent airflow in one direction. However, I recently opened it back up to redo some cable management, and I had to refer to the manual again. While doing so, I noticed in their illustrations for installing the optional front fan, they had it configured as an exhaust fan. Do you think that would actually be a better setup, or do you think that, perhaps, they just weren't paying much attention when they put the manual together? It just doesn't seem as logical to me, but I could be wrong. Also....

2. My second question is actually the most important one. I've got a cooler master hyper 212 evo cooler on the cpu, and it's currently mounted in this direction: http://www.overclock.net/t/632591/cooler-master-hyper-212-plus-evo-club/2920

As you see, the cooler is almost directly in front of the rear exhaust fan, so I would think that this would help drive the warm air right out of the back. However, in this configuration, the cooler was too tall and I had to remove the side-panel fan in order to be able to put the side on. So, my question here is....would it provide better cooling to turn the cooler from vertical to horizontal so I could put the side-panel fan on, or would it be better to leave it off so the cooler is pushing the air right into the exhaust fan?

ihog

Distinguished
1. Leave it as intake. Your thinking is the way to go. They probably just weren't paying attention.

2. Having the cooler face the rear exhaust fan is what I could do, so that hot air isn't being pushed to the top and lingering in your case. As long as your graphics card temps (which the side fan would help lower, especially if the card's cooler is not a blower-cooler), are fine, I would leave your setup like this.

geetaradam

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013

Thanks for your advice! I got all my new parts in today and finished the build. Went with your advice and it seems to be working very well!

No top exhaust? Thats a shame. One directional flow over the mobo is what u want. as for the cooler u want it pushing through the heatsink grills feeding hot air to the rear exhauast..