Connecting to the internet for the first time and installing proper drivers.

Zeller

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
Hello,

I built my computer yesterday and got windows 8.1 installed and activated (over the phone).

At this point I've still l got 2 CD's that came with my mobo and gpu that I am hesitant to install drivers from. As for the mobo I have read on newegg reviews that it was better to install the drivers straight from the manufacturer's site as opposed to the disc. The gpu I simply hold with the same assumption as irrational as that is. The gpu doesn't show up on the computer management tab under 'Sound, Video, and Game Controllers' but there are 4 items under the 'Other Devices' tab among. All four items under this tab have the yellow triangle with exclamation mark.

Among the 4 there is an 'Ethernet Controller', 'PCI Simple Communications Controller', 'SM Bus Controller', and 'Unknown Device'.

1. How does one connect to the internet? I have a router with a hardline in my room to use.

2. Could my gpu be among the 4 devices with the exclamation marks?

3. Should I install the drivers from the mobo disk then the gpu disk and then download the most up to date drivers from the MSI site when I have internet connection?

4. My SSD is my boot drive but I have no idea if TRIM has been enabled on it. How can I determine if the SSD is being treated properly the system?

System Specs:
CPU: Intel i5 4670k
Mobo: MSI Z87 G45
GPU: MSI GTX 760 2GB TF
SSD: Samsung 120 GB 840 Evo
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X series 2x4GB
HDD: Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB
PSU: Seasonic S12G 550W ATX12V

Thanks again.