Blank monitor after installing gpu

renzakuken

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013
I've seen a ton of these threads but none of the solutions seem to work for me.

So far I have tried:
Installing the new drivers from the provided cd, before installing the gpu (whilst running on onboard graphics) which didn't work, obviously because nividia couldn't detect the missing hardware

Installing the card, connecting the hdmi cable to the card and to the monitor, results in the monitor returning to power saving mode

Removing the card, heading into the bios and setting the primary display device as the pci-e port, not as the on board graphics. Resulting in the same problem as before, blank screen.

I've tried spamming f2 and del to get into the bios with the card installed, in an attempt to boot into safe mode, same blank screen.

I'm sure I've tried more but that's all I can remember for now.

System specs
Mobo - Asus h81m-a
Cpu - i7 4770k
Ram - corsair vengeance 8gb
Psu - 650w
Gpu - nividia gtx 770 2gb

Additional note - When connected, the fans for the gpu start up, though that's not an indication for the card working correctly.

Any help would be really appreciated here.

Renz

UPDATE:
I've seen a few forum posts, after googling around for a method of installing the nividia drivers when the card is absent. Several people suggested installing the drivers then, while the machine Is still in safe mode, inserting the card. Wouldn't this risk damaging the hardware?

Also, I'll try and update the bios tomorrow, worth a shot I guess.

I've just had a thought and wondered, is the Asus H81M-A even capable of supporting the gtx 770? I bought it from Palit, via ebuyer. The MOBO specs say it has 1 PCIe x16 and 2 PCIe 2.0 ports available. The gpu needs needs "PCIex16 3.0" Does this mean the board is unable to support the card?

UPDATE 2:
Here are several more attempts to work around this issue.
1. I've updated the bios successfully but this had no remedial effects for this problem.
2. Set the Onboard Graphics as primary / Set the PCIe as primary = Nothing
3. Removed the card, booted into windows, run>cmd>msconfig> Set to safe boot with minimal, shut down, booted up and disabled the intel HD Graphics drivers. Shut down again, installed the GPU = "Check Signal Cable"
4. Removed the GPU, installed an older GPU card, booted into windows and that worked! This tells me that the mobo is working correctly, I think, and that the pcie slot is not damaged.

This leads me to believe that the card itself is either faulty or that the motherboard doesn't support that specific card.
Asus H81M-A
Palait Nividia GTX 770 2gb

UPDATE 3: So I've given up on this issue and set up a return with Ebuyer.com, they're happy to replace the card, agreeing that the problems I've faced here suggest it's faulty. I'll update this thread when I receive the replacement. If that also turns out to have the same then I'll have to consider the motherboard as the main culprit here.

Solution

mantismb

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014

I went through the same thing you did with my Zotac 770 2gb. I put it through 4 different computers to the same effect. I even did a clean install of windows after I updated my motherboards' BIOS. I returned the card and I am at a loss as of what to get when I upgrade now.

Solution

renzakuken

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013
I ended up sending the card back, the seller told me it was working perfectly but i still pushed for a refund. I bought a replacement, installed and it worked first time. Bloody weird and annoying, I read somewhere that Nvidia had manufactured a faulty batch of GTX 770 chips... guess i was unlucky.