I spilt water on my desktop help

superblaam

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
I spilt water on my desktop into the fan holes, I immdiatly turned it off and unplugged everything. After 10 minute of cleaning the area up I turned it on and then turned it off I coundnt see anything but the fans were good and the lights.
I wiped it down with some cotton swabs and alcohol and now left it to rest for a day by putting a fan on it. Its a custom build. I have one question , am I screwed?

Solution
You might be, after all, it was powered up. We are just talking about water? Not juice or other sugary liquid.

How much water? And how far did it penetrate? Did the water seep down as far as the PCI slots and enter them? Did the water get into the CPU socket? How about the ram slots or some of the connectors? Some things (components soldered to boards) might have shorted out if the water got that far.

If the water got far enough, pull out the affected PCI card and check the connections. Same for the RAM. Make darn sure the wate has fully evaporated. Only then, you have nothing to lose by powering up. If all works you were REALLY lucky.
If it didn't short, pop or smoke you are probably fine. However...water can flow into EVERY crack in your PC. And while water itself isn't harmful, especially once dried, it is the mineral content or debris you want to check for.

To be completely safe, disassemble and check every part, especially sensitive areas like CPU socket, GPU slot, all your electrical connectors, and the power supply, for any apparent water spots/deposits.

If you find any, clean/wipe the deposits away. If everything looks dry and there's no dried water streaks or dried spots from droplets you should be fine.

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
You might be, after all, it was powered up. We are just talking about water? Not juice or other sugary liquid.

How much water? And how far did it penetrate? Did the water seep down as far as the PCI slots and enter them? Did the water get into the CPU socket? How about the ram slots or some of the connectors? Some things (components soldered to boards) might have shorted out if the water got that far.

If the water got far enough, pull out the affected PCI card and check the connections. Same for the RAM. Make darn sure the wate has fully evaporated. Only then, you have nothing to lose by powering up. If all works you were REALLY lucky.

Solution