Last tips and advice on a new build

Nov 20, 2013
First of all, let me apologize if this is placed in the wrong subsection I would gladly ask a moderator to move it to the correct one. The guide section made the most sense.

Well after digging through some guides, reviews, threads asking similar questions I still need some last advice on my machine to see if I interpreted all the information I've tried to process paid off.

The build is mostly used for gaming. There will be some work done with 2D/3D CAD and rendering but these are not leading factors, and the rendering-program I use is if not mistaken CPU based.

Next I’m keeping an overclock in the back of my head. On a later (or earlier) time depending on how the machine runs. In time I’ll probably will upgrade the GPU too maybe SLI with another 780

So there’s an issue of will the PSU be happy with two graphic cards. There’s an 850watt option and 1000watt option

Anyway here it goes: Feel free to judge, give advice/tips, or alternatives.

CPU: i5 4670K (cooler: Arctic Freezer Xtreme Rev.2)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Dual Classified w/ ACX Cooler
MEM: Kingston HyperX 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit
MOBO: ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Professional
HD: Samsung 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW, 250 GB SSD (toying with the idea to put in a 500gb one)
PSU: Antec High Current Pro HCP-750

I left out the case because this is usually based on preferences. Personally I’m looking into the Coolermaster n500 silencio.

What I didn’t research because it didn’t come up in my mind is the keyboard and mouse so some advice on this would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks in advance!

The flying Dutchman.

Hmm, good start, but I think you can squeeze more out for the same money ( what's your total budget? ) And you're not listing a case, optical drive, or spindle HDD. Also, do you need a monitor or OS?

Normally, I'm not much for CPU overclocking. Your GPU will be the bottleneck long before an i5 is, so CPU OCing doesn't solve any problems. However, if you're doing CPU intensive CAD design, the OC will help speed that up. But then again, if you've got CAD software that can use more than four cores, I'd spend OCing money toward a Xeon with 8 threads. I'd suggest this as a starting point.

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($244.48 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.90 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($525.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1309.32

Nov 20, 2013

My total budget is about 1700 but I am willing to goes as far as 1900 euros (NL) and my supplier is going to be www.alternate.nl all together for easy access to warranty or a number of suppliers across the country.

And the total budget includes OS, monitor, keyboard and mouse. A sound system is already in place from my old computer it's just that the monitor has seen it's prime and is in need of an upgrade same counts for mouse and keyboard.

I kinda left out the optical drive because with steam and delivery through download etc. It don't use it a lot. I have one of those usb ones if I really need to burn/read a disk. And I'll make a bootable usb for the OS.

I'm not sure about the Xeon though. I do some renders but in overall this might boil down to 1 or max 3 a month. So it's not the main thing I'll do on it.

The cad software (Revit/Autocad) I'm using which is also 10 to 20 hours a month isn't a leading factor of course it will have to run decently but throwing in a Xeon for this amount of work seems a bit overkill, could be wrong though.

About the case I've come under the impression it is like a 'i like ice cream I like pudding' discussion since aesthetics play a major role in this. although it also got the brand x quality vs brand y quality discussions. So that's why I didn't list it. in the parts. I did however look into the coolermaster Silencio n500 because it's nice and sleek. I'm concerned about airflow though. Since silence usually comes at a price.

Ok, I visited that site and pieced together some basics for about €1350.

Xeon 1220 - €198
Z87 Extreme4 - €128
CM T4 Cooler - €27
Crucial 8GB 1600 RAM - €62
Crucial M500 240GB SSD - €118
Seagate 2TB HDD - €77
Asus 780 DC2 - €450
XFX Pro 850W PSU - €145
Asus DVD Burner - €25
SilverStone Raven 3 Case - €128

That leaves €350 for monitor and peripherals, which should be easy. I dropped the Xeon to the 1220. It's only four cores ( no hyper-threading like the 1230, ) but has a beefier L3 for the occasional rendering. A 4670K is €10 more if you want overclocking, or drop to a cheaper 4570 for €175 without losing any gaming performance ( and you could lose the aftermarket CPU cooler too for additional savings. )

I agree, recommending a case can be tricky because a of aesthetic appeal. I really like the Raven 3 because it overs a lot of space and superb cooling and acoustics. I understand some might find it ugly though.