Upgrading my home-built PC

Which part(s) is(are) most in need of an upgrade?

• Total voters

Bisclavret

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
A few years ago, I had a friend help me build a gaming PC. I told him what I wanted it to do, and he chose them, and put it together (I paid for it, of course). But I want to be able to play my games with max graphics and no lag (everyone's goal, I know). To give a basis of what games I want to be able to play maxed out, here are a few that I play the most: Civilization 5, Overgrowth, Dark Souls, Phantasy Star Online, Skyrim .

This PC isn't JUST for gaming. I do homework & etc on it, so that's what hinders my system a bit.

My parts are:

Conversation started October 8
Jesse Forget
10/8, 9:28pm
Jesse Forget

Here's a list of my computer parts:

RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2B1600C9

Case: RAIDMAX Tornado ATX-238WU Black / Blue SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Graphics card: XFX HD-685X-ZCFC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Motherboard: ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HD96ZTWFGRBOX

Power supply: [/i]CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 650W ATX12V/EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

CD/DVD burner: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner, Bulk Package 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model AD-7280S-0B - OEM

A few complaints about what I have now:

1. Case doesn't cool the system as well as I'd want it to. It does the job, but the fans go crazy if I'm maxing certain high-end games.

2. Motherboard came with a weird sound manager thing. Each time I boot my PC, I have to choose which audio output I'm using, even though there's only one thing that actually outputs.

3. I use a USB wireless keyboard, and charge my phone with my PC, which leaves a few open USB ports. However, I can only ever use two ports at a time. The keyboard is plugged in at the back, and the phone is charged in front. I have another open port in front, but I can't use it while my phone is charging. (I was told this could be a motherboard issue?)

4. CD burner is pretty loud when burning.

I don't want to upgrade all my parts to the best available: I just want to upgrade so that my PC is better than my expectations of it, that way I don't lose out when games update to higher required PC specs.

Thanks for the future replies, everyone! If you need any other info, please let me know!