for stricly gaming, but never 3d, which is better 144hz 1ms tn monitor or 5ms ips

raknarius

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
looking at two asus monitors both 24 inch

one is tn panel 144hz 1ms
one is ips panel 5ms

lol I did the reaction time test and I scored in the 200s lol do I really need the 144hz, ill never 3d game, (blind in one eye) I play a mix of games like battlefield, civilization , dragon age, mmos, coh2. I hear ips is newer, better.

also if it matters, I sit very close to the monitor, small room small desk etc distance from my eyes to the screen varies from 2.5 to three feet

Solution
5ms is not the latency of the monitor. The latency will be much higher than that. That is the pixel response time. That is how long it takes the pixel to change from one color to another. It relates to motion blur. With 144hz, 5ms is 5/7ths of the time a pixel is displayed, it is in transition.

144hz gives you 7ms frame times. This results in things being smoother than 60hz which has 17ms frame times. While things times seem small, and you may not be able to click a button within that amount of time, you notice the latency very noticeably when tracking your mouse or in game view. With large amounts of latency, the mouse feels a bit disconnected to your hand, and in some cases, this can even cause motion sickness type symptoms...
5ms is not the latency of the monitor. The latency will be much higher than that. That is the pixel response time. That is how long it takes the pixel to change from one color to another. It relates to motion blur. With 144hz, 5ms is 5/7ths of the time a pixel is displayed, it is in transition.

144hz gives you 7ms frame times. This results in things being smoother than 60hz which has 17ms frame times. While things times seem small, and you may not be able to click a button within that amount of time, you notice the latency very noticeably when tracking your mouse or in game view. With large amounts of latency, the mouse feels a bit disconnected to your hand, and in some cases, this can even cause motion sickness type symptoms (I experience this). With low latency, your movements are easier to track and feel more connected to your actions. The low response times means everything is clearer to see. Using Lightboost at 120hz makes it even better, because it eliminates motion blur almost entirely, giving you very clear crisp motion.

http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/

That reaction time test is hardly related to response time, or even input latency. We are far more sensitive to latency than that test could possibly show. If that reaction time test meant we didn't need anymore than 200ms of latency, we'd be ok with 5 FPS.

Solution

raknarius

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006

I see a lot of conflicting info out there, for example if say im playing my game at 60 fps, will a 144hz monitor still help it be smoother, some say well 60fps only utilizes 60hz so unless your running 120fps you wont need a 120hz or 144hz monitior

Higher refresh rate is always better regardless of the framerate, 60FPS 120Hz looks a billion times better than 60FPS at 60Hz, far less tearing. If you are using vsync it wont really make a difference, e.g. 60FPS 60Hz Vsync'd looks as good if not better than 60FPS 120Hz but obviously there will be input lag.

780 at 1080p is a waste of cash, if you are comfortable with importing then there is absolutely zero reason to go with the Asus monitor.

It is true that the tearing is visible for half the time on a 120hz monitor, if you have 60 FPS. Latency also improves in DX games that use triple buffering (almost all). The reason is a rule that DX has that forces the monitor to display every frame created. 60 FPS on 60 hz, means that frames get backed up one frame, so the monitor is always displaying the older of two frames sitting in the back buffers. This won't happen until you reach 120 FPS when using a 120hz monitor. Unfortunately, you may experience some uneven frame times if you aren't getting exactly 60 FPS.

Using a FPS limit can be used to get around these issues to some degree. With a 60hz monitor, setting a FPS limit to 59 will prevent frames from backing up, and with a 120hz monitor, you can set it to 60 FPS, which is more ideal than 59 FPS is.

Most people can't get 120 FPS with a single 780 in many games. If you are doing 120/144hz at 1080p, then you'll need the power. 1080p @ 60hz won't use the power very often, but 120hz most certainly will.

The extra 26Hz on the Asus monitor can blow to the wind for all I care, not that the Qnix can't do 120Hz with some cable swapping.

Games tend to run into a CPU bottleneck long before you reach 120FPS anyway, at least thats how its going with modern titles. I went from a 670 to 780 at 1080p and it pretty much did nothing other than in synthetic benchmarks, even 3D performance was worse for some bizzare reason, one of the reasons I give it up.

It is true that the CPU will bottleneck you often, before you get there, but that is going to be game dependent. In many games you'll wish you had the extra performance. Others you might not.

Crysis 3, BF4, DA2 and many other games will allow you to get more FPS and at least closer to 120FPS than you can with a lesser card.

And 1440p will be limited to 60hz and high motion blur.

I'm just trying to state that with a 120hz monitor, the 780 isn't wasted at 1080p most the time. At least with newer games.

Only reason I can see to go with the Asus is if you are a competitive gamer (or are just serious about it) and need every edge, blur reduction would help there. 1440p PLS is lightyears ahead of TN 1080p in my opinion, though I believe the PPI of a 24" 1080p display and a 1440p 27" display are about the same, so I guess you aren't really losing or gaining image quality other than it being bigger.

Prathit Pannase

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013

Will we see any true 120hz 1440p ips monitor in future like a year or two ?
I am moving up from 720p laptop
So have no experience
With any of the monitors
1080 or 1440 /120hz or 96hz
It's really confusing

Archie Griffs

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013

For gaming I would already pick a 1440p monitor over a 120hz monitor any day, but that's mostly because I enjoy visuals a tad bit more than I do having the absolute best response for competitive games. If you enjoy having a boost to visuals more than response time, get the 1440p.

I think what sold me on the QNIX Evolution II was that it could be overclocked to 120 Hz, so basically it was a 120 Hz monitor with slightly higher ms and is a larger size (could be viewed as a negative or positive depending on perspective, as usually a 22" monitor is perfect on the eyes as far as seeing surroundings in a FPS game, too much bigger and you have to move your eyes). The 1440p monitor ended up giving me many more options, and that one in particular let me overclock hz as well, so I couldn't really lose. I have a little bit of backlight bleed but no dead pixels. The stand is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be, it honestly never moves for me.

Don't underestimate how beautiful 1440p is though, it really is a hugeee boost in resolution, and in the very worst case scenario you can always go to 1080p for higher FPS.

If you're planning on purchasing a monitor solely because of FPS games, want to be at the top and are in competitions that bring in money the 120hz will be more useful to you, but otherwise the 1440p hands down.