How to properly install a graphics card

Sevenater

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
Hello everyone, I have been looking around the forum and see that many people do not know how to properly install a graphics card. Weather it be securing it into the PCI-E slot, or the proper power connections. In this tutorial you will learn how to properly install a graphics card. Feel free to link this tutorial to anybody on the forum that has a question about installing a graphics card.

Throughout this build I will be calling the graphics card a GPU as well as graphics card. GPU stands for Graphics Processing Unit, and is the little processor on the card itself however, most people including me will call the whole card, a GPU.

Ok, here is the card that we will be using for this guide, but remember for the installation of graphics cards, it's mostly universal.
■ The Gigabyte 770
gigabyte_gtx_770.jpg

Now, when you open the box of this you will find the following-

2x molex power cables to 1x 6 pin adapter

adapter-2x-molex-6pin.jpg

2x Molex power cables to 1x 8 pin adapter

k-pcie-molex_main.jpg

These cables will allow you to power your GPU even if your power supply is outdated. You will use them if you do not have 1x 8pin and 1x 6pin power connecters.

Most GPU's will come with these adapters. As well as a quick installation guide and a driver disk. Do not use the driver disk to install the GPU's drivers. You will want to get the most updated drivers from the GPU's website, i.e NVIDIA or AMD.

Before you install the GPU, remember that static discharge can effect your hardware, make sure you are grounded to the case as much as possible until the GPU is making contact with the case. You may even want to consider using an anti-static strap. It will keep you from shocking your part, for the most part you should be fine, stay away from carpet and pets though.

Now we will begin the installation of the graphics card itself. Before we start, we will want to find are power connecters(1x 8pin and 1x 6pin) also you will want to remove two expansion slot covers from your case so that you will be able to put the GPU into it's place.
The slot covers should look something like these-
Agusta-Expansion-Slots.jpg

Moving on. Now you will want to simply put the card into the PCI-E slot on your motherboard. Should look like this.
1528645_690976980935174_804435612_n.jpg

1524972_690977010935171_1568671303_n.jpg

The pictures above show how the GPU should be secured to the motherboard as well as the case.

Now we move to power connections. The following pictures show what you need to have connected to your GPU to properly power it.
1512711_690976984268507_1389932561_n.jpg

1521958_690977214268484_257389154_n.jpg

Make sure both cables are properly connected.

Once you have all of these steps completed, you are ready to connect your monitor and boot up the machine. You can use any of the Ports on the back of the GPU to connect a monitor to.

Once your machine is booted up, you may notice that the resolution is not what it should be, or that the image is not crisp. That is normal and fine. What you will want to do now is download the proper drivers. In my case I will be installing the NVIDIA drivers for my GPU, you can also install the NVIDIA drivers. If you have an AMD card, you can still get NVIDIA drivers, but you might want to also get AMD drivers so you can configure crossfire and other AMD "Extras". Go to the website and simply look for the download section, you should be able to easily fine the newest drivers.

Once you complete these steps, restart the computer and you should be all set to use your new graphics card.

I hope this guide can help people new to the PC building world, as well as people that just aren't sure about this part of building.

Sevenater

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

Thanks for the advice bro! Sadly I did put it on the tutorial section of the forum, sadly it was deemed a dupe because other people have done similar tutorials :\ But thanks anyway! And yes, the card is awesome :)

Dom_79

Distinguished

What? That's too bad I've seen more than one basically duplicate tutorial in there. Oh well, this is still good.

BTW I'm secretly jealous of your GPU but I can deal with it, I'm looking at all the parts for my new rig sitting on my shelf just waiting for me to get off my a$$ and put it together ;)

Sevenater

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

What parts do you have?

Dom_79

Distinguished
i5-4670K, Gigabyte Z87X-D3H, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro CL9 1600MHz, Samsung 840EVO 128GB, WD Black 1TB, EVGA GTX650Ti SSC (bought for my current rig but decided to use on this new build for a starter - 760 or 770 next year :D )
Corsair H100i, Corsair TX750M, Corsair 400R. More goodies: Corsair Vengeance K70 keyboard, for some reason (price and availability lol) CM Storm Xornet mouse and ACER S242HL monitor. I also picked up a Bitfenix Specter Pro 120mm to use on the side panel on top of the GPU.

And in case anyone was wondering... I like Corsair products and service :D :D :D

Sevenater

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

You should build it man! I finnished my build a month or two ago, and It's awesome, (It's in my sig if you want to know) It's always fun to have a new PC. :)

Dom_79

Distinguished
Yeah I know. I wanna get it done but.... It's my first build and I don't want to mess anything up so every time I sit down to do it I start second guessing whether I understand EVERYTHING I need to do. I've installed drives (CD/DVD and disks), HDDs, GPUs, PSUs, RAM before but I've never touched a CPU or cooler (thermal paste will be something very new to me :) ) or installed a motherboard (or updated the BIOS for that matter). The last time I loaded an OS to a fresh (formatted) HDD it was DOS 6.2 - from 3,1/4" disks and wrote the autoexec.bat and config.sys from memory

Tomorrow. I'm gonna stop putting it off and get it set up. It's going to be such a sweet rig it DESERVES to be built! LOL

TRENDING THREADS