is 27 inch ips 1440p monitor too big if im sitting 3 feet away

raknarius

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
im building a system in January and my budget may be enough to get a 1440p 27 inch monitor, my only worry is due to small livng space / desk im sitting 2.5. to 3 feet away from the monitor, is this too close, will it be pixelated, do you recommend I buy a 24inch even if I can afford a 27 btw my gpu is a 280x

Solution
27" is nice at 3' away. It is better at 1.5-2' away. I'd rather have a lot of area than to not be capable of detecting a rough edge, not that it is a problem with 1440p anyways. Few people do not like larger screens.

3ft away is fine - more strain will be done to your eyes because almost all monitors out of the box are way too bright.

i use a 40'' hdtv and about 3-4 foot away but it seems fine now if it making me go blind who knows? i guess if the day comes were i got to ware glasses that are as thick as the bottom of a coke bottle then i would think back and say yes.. [ if glass coke bottles were before your time they were thick]

I think a 24" is fine for everything, and personally I feel a 27" is way to big for anything. HD and BR movies may look good, but SD or below SD standard movies will look awful in full screen view. There is a difference between TV and Monitor, so if you are thinking things will look good on monitor as TV then you are making a mistake.

Jaks0n

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013

My eyes were fine; I guess I did pump the brightness down a bit because it was a bit obtrusive - I need a 27" (planning on buying one within a month) for university as my desk is away from my bed and I love movies so I want to see the screen. I have lots of blurays and only really watch 720p-1080p and play in 1440p games so there's that!