Something wrong with CPU temperature

alza6991

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
Hello everyone, I just built a new PC but am worried about my CPU temperatures.

The CPU is an i5 4670K (stock speeds, no overclock) and my CPU Cooler is a Noctua NH-U12S (connected to motherboard via 4-pin PWM).

I decided to stress test it, and ran Prime95 Small FFTs, but after exactly 2 minutes my CPU was reaching 70 degrees C, at which point I stopped the test.

I just wanted to ask, is this a normal temperature to reach so quickly?

Room temperature is 22 degrees C, so that isn't affecting the result.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, I'm getting a bit worried.

deadlyghost

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
It is normal but you need to worry if the temperature goes beyond 80 C....
What's the idle temperature you are getting? How many fans you have on your cooler... If you have only one fan on the cooler get one more fan and fix it in the cooler for better cooling(somewhat)... It is normal for a CPU to get 70 C when doing these tests... :) But be careful with the temperatures... Look for the temperatures very often...

alza6991

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013

I'm idling between 30 and 34/35 C... Even if it IS normal to reach this temperature in these tests, isn't 2 minutes really fast for it to get to 70 C?

deadlyghost

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
You are idling on that temperature ! That's completely fine... And my last PC which was AMD FX 6100( i know it is bad) with stock cooler reached 70 C in 1 minute as soon as I started the Prime 95 test... and now with my current setup I reach 63-65 C with Prime 95 in 2-3 Minutes... :) It is completely normal...

alza6991

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013

You have the same CPU as me, but (according to reviews) your Cooler isn't as strong/good as mine... So why are your temperatures lower and take longer to reach?

Did I maybe put the thermal paste wrong?

deadlyghost

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
Maybe or maybe not... The right way of putting the thermal paste is the put a drop of it on the centre and place the cooler and let the cooler put the pressure and it will automatically spread...

I really do not know how my stock cooler gives me lower temperature but surely it does... You know the lowest temperature that gone at idle was 12 C...!! Yeah ! I also could not believe when I looked at my PC after 15 minutes of idling... See here was the snapshot of that moment...

JM41iME.png

I have that PC still but I barely use it... :p and I did overclocking also on that stock cooler and at full loads also my PC never crossed 72-73 C !! Never!!.. :) While when overclocking idle temperatures were 40-45 C... :p

pixelsloth

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

4naE55z.png

Haha, mine does the same!

Look at the min temp,

alza6991

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
So maybe I got a weaker cooler, who knows...

Now I can't stress test my CPU to check if it's a stable one, because I'm more worried about it overheating if I look away from my PC for 2 seconds! :(

pixelsloth

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Alright, can you check if all your fans are working?

And you have proper airflow?

Also try opening your computer and dust it out.

alza6991

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013

No dust, it's 2 days old.

All fans are spinning, 1 x 200mm front intake, 1 x 120mm side intake, 1 x 120mm rear exhaust.

pixelsloth

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

open the case and see if that helps with the temp

deadlyghost

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
Ah I prefer do not open the case as it would obstruct the path of the airflow inside the case making a unwanted pressure... You have a lot better cooler than mine... Its just that some stock coolers are very good(uncommon) and most are worst(very common)... BTW how did you applied the thermal paste? The air cooling inside case is good... You do not need to worry about it so much my friend... The temperatures are good...

pixelsloth

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

Ah, I opened my case due to my gpu overheating and it worked.

But it does have it's downsides it got pretty dusty :p

deadlyghost

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
Lol... Okay but in his case he does not have dust... Yours was overheating because of dust...

One question @pixelsloth : You also have used the stock cooler and received 12 C at idle... ?? :p

pixelsloth

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

Nah, I got a Thermaltake Frio 101.6 CFM

rishiswaz

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
if you are getting below abient temperatures with an air cooler you might have a messed up temperature sensor. It happens from time to time more frequently on older AMD processors but it is no big deal, it is either Windows/Software is not reading it right or the sensor was messed up in production. Either way your thermal shutdown and throttling will still work and you shouldn't worry too much but just to be safe you might want to dial down any overclocks or try and undervolt the CPU a little bit to lower the temperatures (a little bit goes a long way and Windows will blue screen if the voltage is too low and only do it in small steps until your system is no longer stable and then dial it back up a little bit).

rishiswaz

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
For a normal fan, it is totally impossible to get things below room temperature by just blowing air. However, there are exceptions possible. The simplest one is when the fan makes some liquid evaporate: as such it can be possible to get slightly below room temperature by lowering artificially the partial pressure of the liquid (by removing by convection the air above the liquid), so that evaporation will be favored more than at thermal equilibrium.
A more sophisticated one is when there are high pressure differences because of the "fan" (which became a compressor now), and that one can have a kind of heat pump that way. But a normal fan cannot induce sufficiently high pressure differences to do that.

Either that or extreme liquid, liquid nitrogen, liquid helium, or phase change cooling are required for temperatures below the ambient temperature.

source: personal physics knowledge and physicsforums.com

deadlyghost

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
lol... Then my old system come in exception... :p :D ....My old PC had front 1x120mm fan, side 2x 80mm fan, 1x120mm fan at rear... :p And I had the stock cooler from which I got 12 C my lowest temperature... :D and when overclocking full load I got only 72 C....!! :p :D I think I have a pretty much good cooler... :D