Games not getting the FPS I'd like. here's my specs

Cody King

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
I just bought a new 144 refresh rate monitor. I wasn't quite expecting to hit that mark immediately, but I'm not consistently getting over 100.

SPECS:
Operating System:
Windows 2.6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1)
CPU Type:
Intel® Core™ i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
CPU Speed:
3.54 GHz
System Memory:
8.55 GB
Video Card Model:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Video Card Memory:
4.24 GB
Video Card Driver:
nvd3dum.dll
Desktop Resolution:
1920x1080
Hard Disk Size:
1 TB
Hard Disk Free Space:
581.69 GB (58%)
Download Speed:
2.65 MB/s (21.2 mbps)

I haven't overclocked anything. Nvidias experience optimizes all my games to the ultra settings. Should I just lower the settings to High? Do I need to upgrade something?

Solution
Maybe if you start by telling us what games you are playing it would help.

But from the start the GTX-660-Ti is not that strong. Don't expect to hit above 100 FPS in all games with that card.

Ultra Settings is one thing, but are you using a lot of AA? This can really kill FPS. For instance, if you use 16x AA I would start by reducing this. I never found it was doing a big difference in graphics quality anyways and it's major resource hog.

In any case I think that 144Mhz monitors are a scam, the human eye has trouble processing above 50 images per second, I don't know what's the point of going above that.

MC_K7

Distinguished
Maybe if you start by telling us what games you are playing it would help.

But from the start the GTX-660-Ti is not that strong. Don't expect to hit above 100 FPS in all games with that card.

Ultra Settings is one thing, but are you using a lot of AA? This can really kill FPS. For instance, if you use 16x AA I would start by reducing this. I never found it was doing a big difference in graphics quality anyways and it's major resource hog.

In any case I think that 144Mhz monitors are a scam, the human eye has trouble processing above 50 images per second, I don't know what's the point of going above that.

Solution

Cody King

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
Yes, the games tend to set up AA. I will start by dropping that.

WoW, LoL, Battlefield 3 (4 soon), Arkham Origins, Skyrim.

MrProper

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
yes i must agree you expect too much from this gpu the fact you have i7 dosent mean you can run games better than even dual core e8500

MC_K7

Distinguished

^ +1

i7 are no better than i5 for gaming.

660-Ti is an average card that will not achieve above 100 FPS in more demanding games.