Two Websites Open

Dianne M

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
I have the same problem as the lady who posted "Two Websites Open" -- no matter how i attempt to open a web address, two tabs for the same address open up. I don't remember, but clicking the 'x' on one closes both and clicking on the other one's 'x' only closes that tab. Please help this is so annoying, but please don't be too techy detailed for me 'cause I won't understand.

Solution
As todd1780 mentions, the browser you are using is the key to figuring this issue out. If it happens to be Chrome, go to chrome://settings/browser and change the "on startup" section to open the following pages and then leave it blank. Alternatively, you might want to investigate if you have any sort of third party pop-up blocker or adblocker installed that hasn't been updated. That could do it.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
As todd1780 mentions, the browser you are using is the key to figuring this issue out. If it happens to be Chrome, go to chrome://settings/browser and change the "on startup" section to open the following pages and then leave it blank. Alternatively, you might want to investigate if you have any sort of third party pop-up blocker or adblocker installed that hasn't been updated. That could do it.

Solution

Dianne M

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
How do I figure out what browser I am using? I thought it was Internet Explorer, however, a while back I loaded Google Chrome in order to see one of the websites I visit because it said my browser was out of date and Google Chrome was one of their suggestions. The website was www.familysearch.org. I didn't want Google Chrome because I tried it when it first came out and it caused some issues for me, so I uninstalled it.

todd1780

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Do you click on a big blue E to start your web browser?
When these 2 browser tabs appear is it when you first open your web browser? Or does it happen every time you click on a hyperlink?

Dianne M

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
Yes, it happens no matter how I open. I usually right click on the blue E located on my task bar at the bottom to go to a frequently used site. It seems to happen no matter what/who/how I open.

Trying to speed up my computer, I made the following changes in the Control Panel and after I rebooted, this started happening:
Tools > Internet Option > Checkmarked: "Restore advanced settings" AND "Reset internet explorer settings", then rebooted.
There are no options to change back to the way I was before that. Maybe this is the clue you need.

todd1780

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Very interesting. I want you to try something for me.
When your in your web browser click on Tools > Internet Options...you'll be in the "General" settings page. Look towards the center of that window and you will see a button labeled Tabs. Go ahead and click on that button. It will bring up your tabbed browsing settings.
First try the "Restore Defaults" button. Click on it and then restart your web browser.
If that doesn't work, go back into your tabbed browsing settings and uncheck the "Enable Tab Groups" option if its checked. You will have to restart your browser again after doing this.
Try those things in order and let us know if your problem still exists.

Dianne M

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

Dianne M

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
Sorry, Todd, neither worked; the first Restore Default did not change anything and the second offering did not work. I saw the section "Tabbed Browsing Sessions: 'Enable Tab Groups' did not have a checkmark; 'open each new tab next to current tab' had a checkmark. I clicked on restore defaults, rebooted and STILL have the problem. Maybe I should go back and UNCHECK both these items? Do you think?

todd1780

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

Yes go back and uncheck both of them. This is an unusual problem. If that doesn't fix it then I will have to do some research. This may be a good learning experience for both of us :)
You might also want to try Microsoft technical support. I checked the technical resources on their webpage but they couldn't offer a solution there.

Dianne M

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

Dianne M

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
Well, that didn't work either. I'm exhausted! I will try an earlier suggestion made to Ahlayna who started this topic: downloading free programs from malwarebytes.org and superantispyware.com - I will run both of them and see what happens. I had them both on my Dell computer before it died. I've been blaming all my recent problems on Lenovo AND Windows 8 - I hate both of them! Well, going to try those two, so it will be a while before I get back here to let you know the outcome. Wish me luck!

Dianne M

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

Well, both programs detected threats that included: wecare.com, searchprotect.a, conduit.a and BrowserFox.a

I had both spyware/malware programs remove the threats, but I still have the same problem. Now going to go back 10 days and restore. This is absolutely craziness!!!