Acer's New 8-Inch Windows 8 Tablet Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

sean1357

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Atom chip???

They should replaced with FPGA chip instead. So I can mess around with verilog... I will buy if they have Stratix 10 to config 1000 cores...

FFH

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
As someone who owns an Acer Android tablet, I'd wait for a surface mini. Their build quality okay, but they don't supply updates very quickly.

g-unit1111

Titan

I got a Dell Venue 8 Pro for Christmas and this thing is amazing - the Intel Atom Bay Trail processors can do way more than you'd think they can do.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I'd love to see Tom's review and compare 8- and 10-inch Windows-based tablets, especially those that come w/ docking stations.

I've had my hands on both the Dell Venue 8 and the 10" ASUS Transformer T100 Book. Of the two, I actually prefer the ASUS. With its larger screen and the addition of an included docking station, it simply felt like a much more complete and easier to use device. The only slightly greater price tag on the Transformer T100 Book pretty much seals the deal. (That is, unless I lived much closer to a MicroCenter, which has been selling the 32GB and 64GB Venue 8 models in its stores for $230 and $300, respectively.)

This Iconia W4 has some well-established and steep competition.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I know someone that got one of these. Damn thing's heavier than my 10" tablets and gets really warm. I don't know how it performs, but unless it does really well I'll stick with an Android based tablet.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I still have a Blackberry Playbook LOL I might have to upgrade to a Windows 8.1 Tablet later. A full version of Windows kills Android or iOS any day.

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

Well, do not comment on things that you have never seen. It is definitely not heavier than 10" tablet, and you probably confuse Surface Pro with this new batch of 8" Windows tablet, that really, does not get warm.

iamadev

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
@ddpruitt

as w8gaming stated you really shouldn't comment on things like you have used them if you haven't.

As far as bay trail goes I have the Asus T100 and I am really quite surprised at how nippy and usable it is, I mainly use it as a wifi camera viewer and get full day usage from it only plugging it in at night when it goes up to my bedroom with me.

When not in use as a cam viewer it can handle all internet based jobs better than any andy or iOS tablet and the pre bundled apps are pretty awesome tbh. I have yet to find something lacking in the app store as well but generally I use windows programs before apps (cam viewer is metro app).

Bundled keyboard is smaller than I am used to and I never use the trackpad as it is a bit crap and redundant with the touchscreen but that is basically its only faults.

I got the 32Gb and while it does only come with 22Gb spare it has an Sd slot so I just put in a 64Gb card and that holds all my media so for about £320 I get a full windows laptop and tablet that can go all day and do anything I would want to do on a 10" device.

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

Well, I will repeat this again for anyone who is misled by you. First, this tablet is not heavier than the 10" tablets. It is lighter than iPad Air, which is the lightest of them all now. Second, it does not get warm. Surface Pro get warm, not this.

beggerking

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
ddpruitt stop lying. this product just came out yet how could you have used it?

my Dell Venue Pro 8 , however, works like a champ! extremely fast, absolutely no lag at all. FULL BROWSER allows me to run everything, no need for all the crappy apps.

I Hate Nvidia

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
A really tough sell and hard to swallow ,You can buy Dell Venue Pro 8 for almost 80 $ less and exactly the same specs ,in fact I was able to grab it on Amazon for more than 100$ less than the Acer tab ,I heard that Dell has some problems with Wifi connectivity ,but does that justify 100 $ more??!!!

g-unit1111

Titan

I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro as well and this thing is amazing. It's a full PC in tablet form.

IdVic

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
I love the idea of being able to carry a full windows tablet where ever I go. It's also a great alternative for those who want to build a cheap media pc as I stream a lot of my content to my living room TV.

g-unit1111

Titan

The only bad thing about Bay Trail is the tablets that are out don't make use of HDMI video output. I wish they would because they'd probably outsell the iPad and iPad Mini if they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.