Last request to rating my build and some last questions.

Nov 20, 2013
After hitting myself over the fact I didn't notice systems tab in forums and posted in the wrong forum. I'm trying again to get some last tips and tricks on a new build

Well after digging through some guides, reviews, threads asking similar questions I still need some last advice on my machine to see if I interpreted all the information I've tried to process paid off.

The build is mostly used for gaming. There will be some work done with 2D/3D CAD and rendering but these are not leading factors, and the rendering-program I use is if not mistaken CPU based.

Next I’m keeping an overclock in the back of my head. On a later (or earlier) time depending on how the machine runs. In time I’ll probably will upgrade the GPU too maybe SLI with another 780

Anyway here it goes: Feel free to judge, give advice/tips, or alternatives.

CPU: i5 4670K (cooler: Arctic Freezer Xtreme Rev.2)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Dual Classified w/ ACX Cooler
MEM: Kingston HyperX 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit
MOBO: ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Professional
HD: Samsung 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW, 250 GB SSD (toying with the idea to put in a 500gb one)
PSU: Antec High Current Pro HCP-750

I left out the case because this is usually based on preferences. Personally I’m looking into the Coolermaster n500 silencio.

What I didn’t research because it didn’t come up in my mind is the keyboard and mouse so some advice on this would be greatly appreciated too.

some general questions

- Will the motherboard be stable enough? I've seen some people advise more expensive boards for overclocking so was just wondering.

- In time I will probably upgrade the pc by adding another videocard. Will the PSU be happy with for instance 2 780s or is it advisable to move up a notch to 850 or 1000 watt? It's just that when looking at PSU calculators etc. There's quite some difference in what they advise in wattage.

- Considered heat if I go with the Coolermaster silencio is it advisable to take another pair of fans right away? or wait untill I've got the actuall temps of the components in the case?

- another question considering heat, will it be smart to invest in a fancontroller or is this only needed for extreme builds like tri-sli etc.

Thanks in advance!

The flying Dutchman

bob hays

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
You don't really need a fan controller because you can just hook the fans up to your motherboard. If there aren't enough fan ports, you can just get a splitter if you want. The motherboard should be fine for overclocking but it won't be the best, ( I doubt you will notice any difference anyways). As for the power supply, you don't need 1000, but JUST IN CASE, I would go with an 850. The 750 should be fine, but better safe than sorry.

tyranthoth

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Fan Controller is nice but not needed, Your 750 power supply is fine now but an 800w/850w is were you'll want to be for dual gpu's of that grade. and the mob will do what you want. Keyboard and Mouse much like case really is personal more than anything most people working in CAD and Games prefer a mechanical keyboard though and wired of course(nothing worse than having your batteries die right in the middle of a fight). For CPU based rendering though I would suggest bumping to an i7 on the CPU but the i5 will do the job since your main focus is games not rendering.

Nov 20, 2013

I sure this would mean to look for the 80 plus certificate, but what would be the bottom line if going for an 850 watt? Seeing there's a classification from bronze to platinum. Or will this make very little difference?

I know the feel of a keyboard losing power mid game. My old keyboard got a lot of flak and punches because of that. Seeing that mechanical would probably be best. These are like the very old ones, right? the ones that really click? Any brand suggestion or is this also a preference matter? I can assume there's a matter of build quality vs price. I'm quite content with a workhorse keyboard. I've seen those specially designed gaming keyboards with stroboscope light and a dj playing your favorite tune but those are expensive. Any brand that's bang for your buck on this area?

bob hays

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

The rating just tells you how efficient the power supply is so it doesn't actually tell you the quality or reliability of the PSU. But in general, higher quality PSU's have higher efficiency so they can be an idea, but aren't the only thing to look at.

TRENDING THREADS