Intel 530 high data writes?

riie

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Hi everyone,

I had gotten a Intel 530 240GB SSD recently. My daily NAND writes seem to be fairly high >15GB, as monitored through Crystaldisk Info and SSDlife reports a life expectancy around 8 years.

Is the amount of data written considered high, as of now I use the com for internet, listening to mp3 and some light streaming of shows only. Videos, pictures and music files are not stored on the SSD.

Currently using Windows 7 SP1,
- Trim enabled
- Disabled automatic defragmenting
- Disabled System Restore
- Page file size set to 1024mb
- Disabled Hibernation
- Disabling Memory Dumps
- Disable SuperFetch
- Disable Indexing
- Disable Reliability Monitor
- Microsoft Security Essential installed

Thanks!

riie

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

Yes I do, a normal hdd. Is 15gb consider high for the stuff that I have mentioned?

popatim

Titan
15GB a day is alot period and I'm surprised your carrier hasn't shown you the door yet if your actually donloading that much. Check your SSD alignment. You can run AS-SSD benchmark and it will list some numbers in, kb or mb, up in the top left and if it says OK then your alignment is fine. A mis-aligned drive could inadvertantly have twice the amount of writes then it should.

While 8 years leftis longer than you will probably keep the drive there are still a few more things you can do to reduce the wear. Move the page file off the ssd or set it to none if you have 16gb of ram. Move your temp folder off the ssd as well as your temp internet files (in your browser settings)

riie

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Just light surfing and no downloading of large files. I don't think surfing will use more than 5GB daily.
Windows 7 is a fresh installation and using IE11 for windows 7.

Update: AS SSD shows ok at the top left corner, ssd is aligned properly. I had also monitor that my Total NAND Writes increased by 16GB when the Total Host Write increased by 3GB.

riie

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Screenshot if it helps.
qyyz.png