• Laptops
  • Desktops
  • ulv
  • Processors
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
December 28, 2013 5:45:18 AM

i'm about to buy a new laptop

i read this benchmark and another one and now i'm confused which one i should buy that could fit my need, and would be a smart spending for me.

here's my needs for the laptop...
1) heavy browsing. my old i3 lags a bit when i opened 10 tabs at the same time made me wanting for more
2) watching movies and a bit photo editing

there's literally almost no i3 i5 ivy bridge / haswell mobile processors here at the moment, only i3 i5 ulv, ivy / haswell.
they do have i7 mobile and ULV though.
when i saw the above benchmarks from both site an i3-i5 3rd gen ULV scored 2200/2900 and 2500 on the 2 benchmark webs, while the i7-4700hq scored 6800 on both web
the price of the i3 3rd gen and the i5 i'm about to buy is $630 and $720 respectively, and the i7 is $1150.
all other specifications are the same, mediocre screen, mediocre speaker, same graphic card nvidia gt740m...
my question is... is there any performance jump at all between the i5 ULV and the i7? and if there is, how big is it? does it justify the $430 price difference?
and is there any performance jump between the i3 ULV vs the i5 ULV...?
my logic is that if the i5 ULV and the i3 ULV performs similarly, i'd go for the i3.
OTOH, if the i7 mobile performs leaps and bounds to the i5, i might consider biting the i7.

===
if i buy i3 or i5 ULV, i can use the price difference to buy either a nice speaker or a cheap desktop.. but if i buy i7 mobile laptop, then there goes all my budget.
===

also one other thing... if comparing between i7-4700HQ mobile processor and i5-4570 desktop processor, which one will feel snappier/superior for my above needs or will i not feel any difference?

More about : kindly decide ulv ulv mobile

a b à CPUs
December 28, 2013 6:05:53 AM

The laptop I currently use has an i7 4700MQ, which for CPU performance purposes is almost equivalent to the i7 4700HQ. I can tell you that this CPU is pretty speedy, and I have no issues at all whatsoever opening up any tabs, hell, most games I run @ 1080p don't ever feel CPU limited and all in all, I think it's a good CPU.

However, the moment I change my laptop's battery usage mode to 'Power Saver', it will struggle with a few tabs at a time it seems - even opening word documents is unbelievably slow. What I wish to imply with this is, have you tried changing your mobile power plan to high performance and seeing how your i3 2330M runs? I used to own an i5 560M laptop and I never had any issues with multiple tabs, 15+ didn't feel particularly slow.

That being said I have another important question to ask - how mobile do you wish this computer to be? How much battery life do you expect? If you don't need to move around, a desktop may be a better option.

Either way, I would pay $100 extra for the i5 ULV, with my reasoning that I would imagine that the i5 ULV has Turbo Boost which would provide significant performance gains over the i3 ULV which is unable to increase its speed through Turbo Boost. The i5 would, I imagine, provide sufficient computing power for your purposes, especially if it's Haswell based.

As far as the i7 4700HQ and i5 4570 is concerned, for your needs, I don't think you'd honestly feel the difference. Mind you, the i7 might be better for any application that takes advantage of Hyper-Threading, but I reckon the i5 4570 would still be better overall for your purposes.
December 28, 2013 6:28:14 AM

done
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2013 6:56:46 AM

I think the i7 4700HQ is a bit overkill for your needs. If you were too choose between the i3 ULV and i5 ULV, I would go with the i5 ULV for $100 more.

I would imagine that the i5 4200M would be either cheaper or faster than the i5 4200U, or possibly both.

And I guess your question is would an i5 4200U be better than an i3 3xxxM (non-ULV)? Probably not, but the difference wouldn't be particularly large.

To be honest though, if you don't care too much about battery life, leaving Intel's SpeedStep would probably be pretty beneficial. As far as damaging the CPU goes, I doubt it would honestly impact it too much. SpeedStep just reduces the speed and voltage of the CPU in idle - turning it off just means that it would run at it's default speed and voltage which should not impact the processor too negatively at all.

My question to you is: do you need a laptop? Since you do not care about battery life, do you need the mobility? Because in all honesty, you could build a desktop to suit your needs for a far lower price I'd imagine.
December 28, 2013 7:18:07 AM

done
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2013 6:13:19 PM

I see. Did you find the i5 ULV sufficient though on your family-lent laptop, once you had SpeedStep disabled? If so, then I think just go for the i5 ULV.