Someone is choosing my answers as Best Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just would like to find out who is " * ErAnkurPaul" *

This is one example http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1728132/compatible.html#xtor=EPR-8807

IF someone who is participating in post doing selection, it is perfectly OK to me, if it is moderator, OK, but someone just passing by and selecting best answers?!

I suspecting that many other best answers from other users were selected the same way.

To me it is looks like hacking Badge System, unless ErAnkurPaul is part of the staff reviewing posts.
Since it is even impossible for regular user to find another user, I can not even PM him/her.

Please advise?!

Thanks in advance for any input.

Solution
" ErAnkurPaul" is one of the designated Community members, tasked with reviewing old posts and selecting the "Best Answer". To bring some closure to those old threads.
Not just some random guy. It is fine, and authorized by the overall bosses.

Nefos

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
it seems like he did choose the best answer in that topic from July, so i see no problem here
I would say there are no problems here, as not everyone choose best answers, although IMO badges are pointless for me, Im just here to help and have a wee chat
in one of the topic I saw that ops post, that was a new question was selected as a best answer today....

USAFRet

Titan
" ErAnkurPaul" is one of the designated Community members, tasked with reviewing old posts and selecting the "Best Answer". To bring some closure to those old threads.
Not just some random guy. It is fine, and authorized by the overall bosses.

Solution

Let me guess: ErVivek is another?

USAFRet

Titan

Far too many threads would then go unselected. Many people come in, ask a question, get the answer, and leave...never to be seen again.
Anyone with more than X number of Best Answers can choose BA in a thread.

USAFRet

Titan

Yup!

well then just close the thread if there is no best answer then theres no best answer i mean . your giving somone credit for an answer thats just bad ,off the wall, or may not eaven have anything to do with the post.. i dont get it... to be fair to the person that started the post should be the only one to chose best answer if there is nothing chose after a certin time then close the therad with a nice explaniton of way and call it good.

USAFRet

Titan

If you have specific examples of a bad answer being selected as BA, let us know.

yes i do this old post of mine had been and i removed the best answer do to it was no way a best answer http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1900807/232-asus-z87.html

i'm not mad or anything but like i said if its my post i should be the only onr to choose what i feel is the best answer not some jonny come lately..

thanks for starting this thread due to i been seeing this go on and thought you could just get a buddy to go around and check your answer as best just to build up points and badges thats ashame..

USAFRet

Titan

We see that too. And those people do get banned for it!.
Sometimes it is the same person with two different accounts, voting himself up.

well yall should look at geting it to were the persom that started the thread is the only one that get to pick best answer or just let it die after it been running for so long. these guys that got the best answer baloon thing needs to go, also its way too easy to just go around just clicking stuff hijacking a persons thread. like the post i sent to ou its time for it to die..

also i see you got best answer here[ha ha] good work!

Unfortunately many OPs after prolong conversation just walking away, even though there are plenty Best Answers, it leaves bad after taste.

To me, personally, Badge System serves 2 reasons:
First, it gives an idea to OP about the knowledge base of assisting user, meaning, if 2 users provided different answers, most likely user with more Badges in category in question has more knowledge, so he/she can be more trustworthy.
Second, it gives some type of satisfaction to the owner of Best Answer for the job well done.

I am glad that this question generated such a feedback, am I the first one noticed and posted this type of question? Just wondering?

Thanks again.

P.S. I wish there were Badge categories related to major equipment manufacturers like for an example Dell, HP, Lenovo and others. Why? I will just take my personal experience into the scrutiny.
I know Dell PCs very well and when I come to the thread with many wrong answers selected as Best Answers provided by users decorated with all types of Badges, it makes me some what upset - general rules do not apply to Dell in at least 50% of the cases, but OP doesn't know this, so crap happens....

chrisso

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
I understand it can be annoying to a poster with experience that somebody else picked the best answer,
but being fair, many people come on to ask one question knowing absolutely nothing about the topic,
so how would they always know what was the best answer? Often it would be more suitable for someone who recognises a good answer from experience to select it.

RealBeast

Titan
It is incredibly common for a person to say thanks that his problem is solved, yet never to click on the solved button. It is useful for others to find their solutions by searching previously solved threads.

There is a constant ongoing discussion about just who should be able to pick a solution and as USAFRet says we do monitor and ban for those gaming the system, but that is often done by opening a second ID and picking ones own solution, which is quite obvious to the ever vigilant staff.

When I review posts, I occasionally select a BA, based on it answering the question and being technically correct and useful for others. Most of the old post review is done by hired staff though, as the volunteer mods are usually busy fighting spam or answering questions in their areas of interest.

i think the badge system is nice to show you got some knowlage and try to help outhers with solid info , but if a guy that has all them expert things and is getting them due to self selection or a buddy doing it for him my hurt a guy looking for real help.. i rember one thread i was reading and trying to help aguy and a ''top'' expert posted ''you just need to take it to a shop'' and as i was working to help this guy like 1/2 hour later >< his answer got best answer wile i was still helping the guy so i wondered how he felt seeing that .

heres a thing it's my post or ''?'' its not yours to decide what is best for me... if my post runs too long and nothing was chose and seem dead it should just be closed and a post from you stating that fact and if i was to feel tha i still need help with that issue to start a fresh new up to date thread. and its done.. i can eather start up a new thread or let it die with out someone outher than me choesing whatever is sitting there as best answer in MY thread and awardeing un deserving points . just let it go.

RealBeast

Titan
Users that game the system get booted pretty fast and as I said there is great scrutiny on that issue.

If you see something that makes you suspicious, or feel that there is an unfair BA selected please report the post and it will get reviewed and we can change the BA if needed and check the circumstances around the selection.

its all good just wanted to give my user input on this issue ... theres alot of good here at tom's and there are a lot of good help tips that eaven though i dont have that issue i do learn somthing new or see somthing i missed that will better me down the road and can use to help outhers when in need.. keep up the good work....

Seriously, I thought some Indian guy was going around trolling my old posts selecting them as best answers. Even if I wasn't 100% sure they should have been. I'm surprised something like this isn't stickied, but with so many sub forums and no general forum, it's impossible to have a central place to check for stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.