Problem with motherboard?

Cardbry

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Ever since I built my computer i've had a problem with it. I couldn't get it to recognize the graphics card, I googled a bit and found that if i restart, hit F8 go down to deactivate signature reinforcement and install the nvidia driver, for some games i would be required to do this it would gave me a direct3d not found error if i didn't.

CPU i5 2500k
MB Asrock z68 extreme3 gen3
HD 60GB samsung SSD
GPU ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP 1GB
RAM 2x 4GB G-skill
PSU Corsair GS800 (800W)
with a coolmaster cpu heat sink

Nothing is overclocked, temps are very low my case has many fans.

Ok so problem would occur like this:
Computer would shut off after couple hours of use, then it would restart itself for about 2 or 3 secs then shut off, then ON then off, this cycle would continue until I intervened. I would shut it off undo ATX cable, plug it back in. Turn it on, hit the cmos switch and or hit the restart, it was different everytime. A lot of the time when I would restart it after a random shut down the motherboard would give mr either a 55, 20, d0. Eventually it would start up after 3 or 4 attempts. For a while it stopped being that way, although i still had to hit F8 and deactivate sig, reinforcment.

Then one day (yesterday) the MB gave me those errors(55 d0 20) repeatedly. So i decided to switch around the RAM. I had the RAM on slots A2/B2, I switched to A1/B1, i could restart like normal computer worked fine for an hour then random shut down, i could start up again with 2 or 3 tries, but it would shut down again, this continued for 6 random shut downs all of them shutdown at different times sometimes immediately after start up and others after 30 min or an hour. At this point I installed windows updates, and uninstalled programs i didnt use, virus scaned, ccleaner the works. Everytime I stressed the computer slightly it seemed it shutdown and restarted itself with an error. I restarted and ran a GPU stress test (FurMark) sometimes my comp would bluescreen most times it shutdown with error 55. I ran memtest 86+ to see if my ram was the problem. I booted memtest86+ on a USB with both sticks and it ran for 20 secs, then i saw a wall of red, then my computer blue screened. I remembered reading somewhere that you are supposed to run it on 1 RAM stick at a time so I powered down left 1 RAM in A1 slot, and the test came back good. I restarted my computer with just 1 stick of RAM, and everything is running great, no problems. Success.

I even ran the GPU stress test all the way through, no crashes. The weird part now is that I dont have to hit F8 ( deactivate signature reinforcement) on startup, which I always had to do. Also every game works fine to be specific league of legends, Dota 2, Age of Empires, CIv 5. This has been a weird experience for me, when I first looked into the problems, I found a lot of people have problems with this Asrock Motherboard. I'm now 95% sure my problem was the ram interaction with the motherboard. I will now experiment with nividia drivers/other RAM configurations to see what happens. If i get brave i'll start overclocking... more to come.

turboface20

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
first, try to reset your cmos battery. maybe even buy a spare. i thought my mobo was going out last summer. turns out just needed to reset ol cmos. then go into your bios and make sure all your timings are set correctly as well as other settings. you seem like you know what your doing so you'll figure it out. how old is your psu?? it seems strong enough but you never know. it may just be unstable? although, i doubt it.

Cardbry

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
all parts are new, since June of 2013. I actually set a password to my FLASH bios settings ( not excatly sure ) and i forgot it... so i was leaving the whole cmos battery reset thing for a last resort, but i'll just do it today I geuss i'm still a noob though to computers, i will do the cmos battery, i'm not sure though what my settings in the bios are supposed to be like? anyway i'll do that then put the RAM back in and see.