Making a cheap NAS, what mobo?

Wilykat

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I have a small ITX case sitting around getting dust that I could turn into a NAS box. Originally I was going to use a laptop but all of the retired laptop I have don't support SATA (one is so old it only supports SCSI, no USB, no PC card slot, 12.8k modem, and only serial network, try streaming BD quality video over that!)

So anyway I'd need a mobo. A cheap ITX board with built in cheap CPU would work. It will need to be able to support single 3TB (and possibly second one so 2 SATA minimum). I can get cheap USB storage for OS and I plan to use freeNAS software. I'd probably need a decent power supply the only quality name brand PSU I have around are all in the 1Kw range and too long to fit the case I have

EDIT: it won't be streaming or media nas, it'd be mostly file storage and sharing between my desktops and laptops so I don't need to keep power guzzling desktops on just for files.

Wilykat

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Just got an email from Tom's about this:
We've noticed that the question you asked at Tom's Hardware received a reply, but a Best Answer hasn't been selected yet. Was your issue resolved? If yes, please help show your gratitude to the user who helped out by setting their response as the Best Answer. This also helps people who have the very same issue you did find a solution to their problem.

There wasn't any answer that I could use as best answer. I ended up basically throwing a dart at Newegg and picked up a random AMD CPU and mobo. ASRock FM2A88X-ITX and an A10 CPU