Upgrading from a Xeon E5-2609 to a Xeon E5-1660

Catlady555

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
I bought my Lenovo about 16 months ago with as many bells and whistles as the pocket would allow. I opted for the E5-2609 processor (2.4 MHz) and upped the RAM to 16GB. This unit is being used as a workstation not a server, so I really thought this would be what I would need for awhile.

I recently got the requirement listing on the 2014 Income Tax program that I'm going to need to be using very soon. The recommended GHz is 3.0, not good. I checked out the compatible processors and was originally looking for the E5-1650, but came across a used E5-1660 from a reliable source.

The last time I did any serious changes to a computer was when I upgraded a 386 to a Pentium, so you can tell how long its been.

I checked my BIOS and I'm on version 43, the latest is 48. I've heard horror stories about flashing the BIOS, although I have done it before successfully, but it has been a long time. My whole system is on a battery back up so there should be no interruptions during the process. Anything else someone might be able to tell me about this?

I saw something about downloading drivers for the E5-1660, but the one website didn't show the drivers for Windows 7, it was all for different Linux OS's. Do I need to download/install new drivers, and if so should I do it before I swap out the processors?

I do have the heat sink compound and have watched a few how-to videos, so I'm almost ready to go.

Thanks for any help you can give me,

CL555