BlackBerry CEO Willing To Bring Services to iOS, Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Very forward thinking strategy and I think it may save Blackberry as a company. Their phones may not be doing too hot but their software is so widely used and BBM for Android/iOS has exploded in popularity,I know personally I use it to communicate with most people on my contacts and text those who don't have it instead if I can't phone them for some reason, with that said I wonder if for the everyman it's too little too late

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
BB10 OS now supports Android apps natively up to 4.1 or 4.2 (can't remember) so there is no lack of apps now. I use it because of the keyboard of course :p The Q10 is very popular where I live. I have an android device but its not very good for multitasking and doing stuff fast. I just had it for the apps. Now I never use it anymore since the newest OS supports Android apps. I got more Android apps on my BB then BB apps now LOL.

Also, the reason they put BBM on other devices is to ultimately try to lure people back to Blackberry devices. I don't think they will make enough money from just software to stay alive for more then 5 years. 70-80 percent of their income is still from devices I believe. Its the only phone maker that doesn't make phones that all look like an iPhone LOL

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
Hmm... BlackBerry wants to save their company by transitioning to software only development in a market dominated by an open source operating system and extremely cheap or free apps. LoL. What are they going to do, try to make $50 apps no one will buy? I could just see the board meeting now.

"Does anyone have any ideas? Anything at all?"

"Um... Angry Birds did pretty well last year."

This might be the worst run company of the decade. It's like a former Hollywood celebrity whose crack addiction has left them living in a cardboard box. How do you go from such high market saturation to litterly no presence at all in such a short time?

One more point. No one wants to use their crappy blackberry messenger, let alone pay a per user fee. No one.

May 2, 2013
I like BB, but went with a Lumia 920 when it wasn't certain a BB device would get proper app and user support.

Never looked back. This thing is noticeably faster than my previous phone (GS3) and stands up to the kids far better.

IB

schultzter

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013

Actually, I'm sure they're going to find companies willing to pay. Not for the apps but for the back end servers and services the apps rely on. Companies provide free apps and then charge the corporations a per user fee. McAfee and RSA come to mind. I'm sure there are a lot of others.

Bill Wendel

Distinguished
May 7, 2013
The security they provide is supposed to be top notch. There was an article on either Tom's or on MSN or Yahoo about the President of the United States having to use a Blackberry because of the security built into it's server software. If their security ever gets hacked THATS when they will start to fall.

"The security they provide is supposed to be top notch."

Does it keep the NSA (and others) out? If not then it's worth exactly nothing. If the NSA can get in, so in theory can anyone else. You seriously might as well broadcast all your messages with Twitter, since anyone genuinely interested can intercept and read everything you say anyway. As far as I can tell, post Snowden revelations it's pretty obvious privacy (private, public and corporate) is dead, regardless of what platform or safeguards you use.

If they want to be able to provide the same level of security and encryption. They are going to need to make agreements with Google and Apple for a higher degree of integration with their OS. It's not unheard of Apple has integrated Twitter and Facebook. Maybe they would be willing to integrate something that isn't flippant.

schultzter

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013

Since Android is open source they could either just submit generic patches that would help any security integrator. Or they could provide a DroidBerry or BlackDroid ROM that companies would have to flash onto their devices before handing them out to employees (which means partnering with hardware OEM's).

Or they could deal directly with Google to get their BlackBerry specific patches included in base Android.

But that's assuming Google stops believing in the SELinux project which is included as of 4.3 and enforced as of 4.4. Making Security Enhanced Linux the default for all new devices in a way that is standard across all Linuxes. With standard open-source tools.

Very forward thinking strategy and I think it may save Blackberry as a company. Their phones may not be doing too hot but their software is so widely used and BBM for Android/iOS has exploded in popularity,I know personally I use it to communicate with most people on my contacts and text those who don't have it instead if I can't phone them for some reason, with that said I wonder if for the everyman it's too little too late

Lol, yeah....it only took them 3 years to implement this idea after one of the founding members tried to get this done, then left the company in disgust after the idea was undermined by the then-CEO.

Lol, yeah....it only took them 3 years to implement this idea after one of the founding members tried to get this done, then left the company in disgust after the idea was undermined by the then-CEO.

1991ATServerTower

Distinguished
May 6, 2013
I would have much preferred to buy an HTC One Mini with BBOS10 than the Blackberry Z10 that I did end up buying this holiday season.

The HTC's chassis and speaker setup is much higher quality (and it was free, while the BB was $49 on the same 2 year contract). However, Android/Google's abysmal lack of respect for a person's privacy and Android's poor workflow caused be to buy the lesser hardware to get the better operating system.

I never got to try WebOS/PalmOS, but out the other mobile OS's I would rank Blackberry OS7 the most productive, followed closely by Blackberry OS10, with Android a distant third. And by "productive", I mean how quick/simple it is to accomplish daily tasks such as taking and sharing a picture via multiple communication methods, making a phone call to a known contact, sharing calender/contact/schedules, sending/receiving email, and so on. Windows Phone 7 nearly drove me insane when sending pictures, while on BBOS 4.5 it was a simple, "thumb, thumb, done!".

Anyhow, if they haven't "downsized" all the people who created the workflow and UI for the BBOS, then Blackberry does have a lot to offer directly to end users in terms of software. Sure their enterprise software is great, but their mobile OS is actually pleasant to use too.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
"But that's assuming Google stops believing in the SELinux project which is included as of 4.3 and enforced as of 4.4. Making Security Enhanced Linux the default for all new devices in a way that is standard across all Linuxes. With standard open-source tools."

The NSA were major contributors to SELinux. Seeing as Google was financed by the Clintons, I doubt Google is going to take out any government sponsored back doors. Unless of course BlackBerry can provide the NSA even better access to our personal data.

Status
Not open for further replies.