Case Fan - Molex or 3/4 pin?!! Help Please

Chad Fisher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
So am I going to be able to control the speed though? And MATX motherboards will fit won't it, asking for a lot but would an asus r9 270 fit in the case two? !! Thanks soo much!!

Find the manufacturers web page for the case and read the specifications .

Your graphics card length will be the issue , but you can check that too

You would have to add a fan controller to control the speed of the fans .

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I can't find specs for the pre-installed fan, but it's a good bet it will be wired to plug into a Molex 4-pin connector from the PSU. So it would not plug into any 3- or 4-pin mobo fan port. If you plug it into a PSU output, it will run at full speed all the time.

The common option for control would be to buy and install a fan controller. You would use this to set your own fan speed manually, and then it's up to you to monitor temperatures inside the case and adjust the fan speed if appropriate.

Alternatively, you MAY be able to buy an adapter that allows you to connect a fan with a 4-pin Molex connector to a mobo 3-pin fan port. NOTE I specified 3-pin. The speed of a 3-pin fan is controlled by varying the voltage supplied to it, whereas a 4-pin fan port on the mobo provides a very different control mechanism that 3-pin fan (or a Molex fan) cannot use. If you do this the mobo CAN control that fan via a 3-pin port, although it will NOT be able to read the fan's speed. You might have to tell the BIOS to ignore that fan's speed signal which it will never get. It does not need to read that fan speed to control the speed.

NOTE that none of this impacts the control of the CPU cooling system by the mobo. You still need a CPU cooler which, I suggest, IS best to control via a mobo CPU_FAN port. Just make sure that, whatever type of port your mobo has for the CPU fan (3-pin or 4-pin), you buy that type of fan for it.

Chad Fisher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Its not for my CPU, im, sure its a 3 PIN, connector i watched a review on youtube 2 molex to 3 pin, ill buy a controller to control the speed of the fan at the front of the case :D