First time builder, need advice and suggestions

GeSa

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
Hello All,

So after several months of hard working and saving some money I'm about to buy some parts for my new first attempt at DIY PC.

At the moment I'm running my old PC from the early 05's IIRC. Currently running a Q8300 with 4gb of DDR2 ram and a radeon 7770 with a shitty 400W PSU (real wattage rated at ~260W).

I'm juggling between two different builds at the moment.
The parts for the first variation are the following:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($231.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G43 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($87.32 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Inwin Commander III 800W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $740.75
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-29 13:51 EST-0500)

The 2nd variation is the same except:

• 1)Do not buy the aftermarket heatsink (maybe go for water cooling in the near future?)
    2)Swap 2x4GB CL9 RAM to 2x8GB CL10 RAM
The benefits of this would be 8GB more RAM at only an additional price of ~40USD.

I will be saving for a GTX770 or might as well wait for the 8 series from Nvidia and a gSync monitor which is why I did not include them in the price, therefore I'll be staying with my AMD 7770 for several months (Oh C'mon i'm using a 17" monitor so who cares about the GPU atm :)

I have several questions regarding some of the parts:

• 1)The CPU cooler - will it have some compactibility issues with the case and mobo (heard only 2 and 4 RAM slots will be available if using your average sized dimms)?
    2)I will also be using a 700W same PSU as in the list (pcpartpicker didn't have a 700w version). At first I was thinking about getting something like Corsair CX600 but then I read some reviews and the conclusion was that it's not that good quality for the price. I stumbled upon the Inwin PSUs in the recommended list of PSUs and actually found them for a decent price in my country - any Inwin PSU users around here, would like to hear your opinion about them.
Here is the real price that I will be paying for these parts: 1st variation http://puu.sh/62pB7.png (1USD=2.51LTL, total price 858USD). 2nd variation http://puu.sh/62ypK.png (Total price 902USD)

Any advice/suggestions you can provide for this build?

Thank you in advance.

Abscent

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
I am iffy on the G-43 board, I think the g-45 is better quality if you wish just to spend a smidgen more or there are cheaper alternatives from ASrock.

Your Evo 212 will allow you to clear your ram without any issues or you could order the low profile ram since those heatsinks on them are only for show anyways. I would simply run a stock cooler and pick up a water cooler once you wish to start overclocking, also on that note I would suggest checking out the Nzxt G-10 they are releasing soon, you combine it with their Kraken 40 and then you have a water cooled GPU.

Your power supply I would pick from these companies XFX, OCZ, Antec and Seasonic all are very good brands and a 600w power supply will be plenty.

You could also get the Kingston v300 SSD for a few dollars cheaper but I am not sure about that in your country

TRENDING THREADS