GTX 680 Upgrade Bottleneck?

jmccarty13

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
I have an old dell OptiPlex with a Core 2 duo 2.53ghz Its E7200 and I currently have a sad Radeon 6570 DDR3 version. I have found a gtx 680 on craigslist and I have an unwanted ultrabook I want to trade for it.

My question is will the bottleneck that I know will happen hurt performance more than it would help in my situation? and please don't answer upgrade your system because I don't have the money or else I would. I can currently run skyrim on high with fxaa 8x texture filter thanks to my 200mhz overclock to gpu core and memory

BTW my ram is only running like 667 Mhz because the person I bought the computer from decided to upgrade with slower ram so half 800mhz and the other 667 but I want to know if this will cause even more of a bottleneck or not because if so I may just use 2gigs and kill my unnecessary windows processes and visuals

mike789

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
The 680 is a very capable card. You will have extremely increased performance in most games with some problems of course in some cpu driven, or open world games, multiplayer etc because of your cpu limitations but is your psu enough? If thats what you seek sure why not. By the way i have no idea what an unwanted ultrabook is.

jmccarty13

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
An unwanted ultrabook is my hp elitebook folio 9470m and its worth much more than the card but I miss my gaming cards lol and my psu will need upgrade as its only 450 watt and only has a 6pin connector. I don't really play multiplayer games so im thinking I should be fine right. I just don't wanna give up my ultrabook if its only gonna gain me a few fps with my dated cpu.