[SOLVED] Advice on air cooling extra fans setup for i5 4670 Hasswell + Cooler master EVO 220

thenetvines

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Straight to the point:

This is my unmodified case with stock fans:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119259

80mm Fans
No

120mm Fans
Rear: 1 x 120mm Fan

140mm Fans
Front: 1 x 140mm blue LED Fan
Top: 1 x 140mm Fan

Side Air duct
No

I have bought a new i5 Hasswell that I don't plan to OC, but seems to be notorious for running hot, so I bought a new Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan.

My question is if it's worth changing or adding more fans to this setup for better airflow, and if so, where extactly?

I am a complete noob when it comes to air flow cooling :s

ps: I don't care much about noise, since I have another setup with a 10 month old 212 Hyper Evo for an i5 Sandy Bridge that seems to have gone slightly louder even though I clean the system for dust rather monthly.

http://www.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/mid-tower/cm-690-ii-advanced-usb3.html

Front: 140 x 25mm blue LED fan x 1 / 1200RPM / 19dBA
Rear: 120mm fan x 1 / 1200 RPM / 17dBA
Top: 140 x 25mm fanx1/1200RPM/19dBA(supports120/140mm fan x 2)
Bottom: 120mm fan x 2 (optional)
Left side: 120/140mm fan x 2 (optional)
Right side: 80 x 15mm x 1 (optional)
HDD cage: 120mm fan x 1 (optional)

likely you are completely fine but if you wanted to add a fan i'd fill one of the side panel spots with a 140.

then just take a look at your temperatures idle and in game and see what they look like. i dont see a problem for a non o/c system though.

thenetvines

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Thanks SSDDX, I was a bit confused about the layout my case came with.

It seems that the top fan works as an intake, rather than an exhaust, and from what I read, the front and bottom are supposed to be intakes, and the back and top are supposed to be exhausts ?

If so, would the left side fan work as an intake or an exhaust?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

in general...

the front should always be intake.
the rear should always be exhaust
the top should always be exhaust
the bottom should always be intake
the side should always be intake.

heat flow should always go front to rear and bottom to top.

there are some cases (like the prodigy m) where a downward flow is the only real option however in most cases the above is true.

the side is typically an intake to keep positive static pressure (which is generally regarded as superior to negative static pressure)

i'd swap your fan config around to match the normal accepted standard.