New PC builder looking for advice on hardware

TemperedSteel

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
Good day! I am currently in the process of choosing hardware components for my first PC build. My budget is under 1000 and I have a list of the hardware I have chosen, albeit after many hours and lots of coffee. If you have any suggestions or tricks of the trade I would greatly appreciate them!! Thank you!

1. CPU - AMD fx-8350
2. Mobo - ASUS Sabertooth 990k r2.0
3. RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X Series (2 x 4) DDR3 - 1866
4. HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM (will invest in a SSD later)
5. GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 760 2Gb
6. Case - Corsair 500r
7. PSU - Corsair Builder 600W

In3rt1a

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013
Well, if you want advice on building it, here is mine: don't force anything. Everything has a place, and if anything is forced, you could break really expensive components. Also, go to radioshack, fry's electronics, whatever, and get yourself an antistatic wriststrap. Hook this up to yourself and you won't zap any expensive components with static electricity. Also, do your build all at once in a dust free room on a day when you have a couple hours. + have fun :). As far as your actual build goes, it looks solid and everything is compatible, but I could be more helpful if I knew what it is for????

TemperedSteel

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
Thanks for the reply!! It would be used for just about everything really. I am a junior engineering major in college and I have a couple software packages with light 3D modeling! I thoroughly enjoy games, especially RPG's like Skyrim. I am looking forward to the new Witcher game and I don't plat FPS games all that much, but I have never had a rig that could play them! I also dabble in Chivalry Medieveal Warfare (first person swords). Basic task suchs research for papers and the office suite are much used. I hope that helps?!

In3rt1a

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013
If 3d modelling and some gaming is what you need this build for, it looks great. You'll be able to run pretty much all games maxed out at 1080p. However, if you don't have your heart set on amd, I would recommend this motherboard and cpu from intel:
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-4670-Quad-Core-Processor-BX80646I54670/dp/B00CO8TBR4
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131980

Just because intel is my preferred cpu manufacturer, and that processor is the new haswell model. Also, the cpu socket on this motherboard is 1150, which will be compatible with intel's next release of cpus, broadwell.

TemperedSteel

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
I have been going back and forth between the I5 4670k and the fx 8530 for sometime so I am not hesitant to jump the fence to the other side. I would like to dabble in the art of overclocking in the future as well.

In3rt1a

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013
Between the two, I would recommend the 4670k, as you will get better single threaded performance, and if quad core isn't enough for you, u can hyperthread. Though it is worth noting that haswell is not the best overclocker. It is difficult to cool the chip because of its small surface area. You should still be able to get it between 4.4-4.8 ghz depending on the quality of the silicone.