Is a 110 inch Ultra HD TV on your wish list?

I know Ultra HD is the future but definitely not a 110inch TV, but look at TV feed sources like DirecTV, Dish, Cable, they're barely pushing a true 1080i signal, and only on about half the channel lineup?

Some 1080p on PPV, but true 1080p is basically still BluRay, so where is the catching up with Ultra HD technology?

That 55" size would be perfect for us, and what's your opinion of the Samsung LED?

D

Deleted member 217926

I have a 55" Samsung UN55EH6000. I bought it purposefully as just the best picture TV I could find for around $1000. It's not 3D and it's not a smart TV. I would never use 3D ever and I have smart functionality through my Blu Ray player and Directv DVR. I did research for months before I bought it and I'm totally impressed. I regularly see Sony and LG sets that don't look as good as mine as far as picture quality goes. My TV is the cheapest model with a full backlight array or was.

Be aware though that there is a panel lottery with almost every large TV. I ended up with a Samsung manufactured panel with a great viewing angle. The Samsung made panels are recognized as the best of the bunch. The panels on the 65" model of the same line were mostly made by Sharp and were considered inferior to the Samsung panels, There were also other manufacturers.

Check out the AVS forums on whatever model you are looking at.

I got a 55" because of my viewing distance, which is 12" from screen to couch. I also have my TV mounted at eye level when seated for a direct viewing angle. Some of my friends have 70"-110" TV's or projectors and sit 8-12 feet away from the screen. I have hard time seeing the "big" picture when watching movies; just too big for the distance IMO.

Overall, I am a fan of Samsung products. When shopping, the Samsung was the best picture quality and feature set for the price. There were larger LG's with not as nice a picture. There were Sony's with better/comparable picture quality and the additional cost was for the apps and smart features that I just won't use.

Anyway, about the LED panel. The panel is fantastic. The LED panel in my TV is made by Samsung, which is the primary reason I chose Samsung and that specific model; but then again, Samsung makes all their own panels and even panels for Sony. The TV has all kinds of settings you can change, from preset "modes" for the type of viewing (Movie, Nature, Bright, Night, Natural, etc) or you can go in a tweak each setting according to taste. The TV itself has 4 HDMI inputs plus component inputs to connect devices as well as an optical audio out and HDMI out. I cannot comment on the built in speakers, I use it mostly as a monitor and channel everything through an Onkyo receiver, i.e.; Playstation, Wii, DVD player, HTPC, etc. Overall, I recommend Samsung TV's, as IMO they have the best quality/feature for the price.

D

Deleted member 217926

^ Actually Samsung does not manufacture all the panels with their name on them. There is a thread at the AVS forums on how to identify your panel maker.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1294904/samsung-panel-version-thread

This is on page 2:

" Here is some interesting info which refers to letters on the sticker, not what is in the service menu.

A = AU Optronics (AUO) A-MVA
B = Chi Lin Technology (CLT)
C = Chi Mei Optoelectronics (CMO)
I = LG Display IPS (LGD)
P = Chunghwa Picture Tubes (CPT)
S = Samsung S-PVA (S-LCD)
H = Samsung S-PVA (3D)
Q = IPS Alpha Technology LTD (Hitachi & Panasonic) IPS Alpha/IPS Pro "

I don't feel like searching the entire thread but there is a newer list in there as I know Sharp should be there as well. The Samsung S-PVA panels have the best picture and viewing angle and the color 'pop' Samsung is known for. Viewing angle and light bleed seem to be the most common complaints with the other panels.

Thanks chunkymonster, We have a 46" at a 9' distance which at first thoughts I thought was overkill, not taking into consideration the measurement is rectangular based, and reality wise it just is not a large enough screen, so I was already considering at least a 55" or maybe even a 60".

We have a Toshiba LCD which was great when we bought it about 4 years ago, but today we can seriously increase the screen size for less than half what the Toshiba cost!

Prices have dropped amazingly! :)

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
That is true and more logical also. Even a 55 inch television is big also.

george89

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014

Diablo 3.... 66'' Samsung.... :drool:

That's awesome! I'm moving soon and I've wayyy overdue for a TV... Can't justify the bleeding-edge prices of 4k though.

I'm just after about a 60" 240hz LED, as I personally don't see the need for the 4k step as yet, unless it's all up converted to 4K, as none of the TV services like DirecTV, Dish, or Cable support past 1080P technology.

The step up from 120hz (That I am presently running), to 240hz would be smoother action on the ball field, and in fast motion in movies, an up converted 4K will have to look impressive with the initial Ohh and Ahh, but lag as well as 120hz compared to 240hz does now.

Even if it doesn't it's just not worth the cost!

And it won't put me to sleep any better than mine does right now, when the commercials come on! :lol: