Windows 7 Setup not formatting 840 EVO SSD

lolwut767

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Hi all,

I recently got myself a Samsung 840 EVO SSD, and today I wanted to install Windows 7 onto it.

I thought about doing the Data migration, so I bought a 3rd party SATA to USB3 adapter.

No such luck however, as the software can't find my drive. I assume this is because of the 3rd party adapter.

So I went to install Windows 7 on to it.

No such luck either, as the setup fails to format the drive. It can see it, it even partitions it, but it doesn't get past formatting.

I jumped on my dad's computer and used the adapter again to format the drive myself.

It worked, and data can be transferred (I should note that it was also possible to put data on to it when I had my old HDD installed on my own machine.)

So, I went into the setup again on my machine. It copies its files, and sits at 0% for, I'd say, 5 minutes, and then it fails again. (i can't remember the exact message)

My BIOS indicates that all SATA ports are set to AHCI mode.

In my SATA ports, I have these devices in this order:

1. SSD; 2. Empty (usually my 2TB HDD); 3. DVD Drive; 4. DVD Drive; 5&6: always empty.

Do you know what I am doing wrong? Do I need to load a driver at the prompt?

Thanks for your help.

popatim

Titan
make sure you are using a rear usb2 port when using the adapter as those would definitely not need drivers for win7 install to see the drive though the usb adapter still could be an issue.

Failing that we would at least need to know which motherbd you have.

lolwut767

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

My mobo is the Asus M5A97 R2.
I used a wall powered sata to usb2 adapter and it detected it properly though. Its quite odd.