Any Danger to running a PC out of the Case?

AngelBacon

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
Alright, so I just received my parts in the mail today, because Santa decided to use UPS this year. I'm thinking of just putting it together since the case will come here in another 2-4 days, and I don't want to spend my entire break waiting,

I'd like to know the dangers of doing this though. Like what should I do for this time period, what to look out for, etc. I'm an impatient guy when it comes to these things. Just like any other kid, I wanna play with my toys.

I plan to use the Newegg cardboard box if I decide to do it

daniel atlas

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
There are multiple dangers!!
The biggest concern is that your computer is susceptible to static or other electrical shock, and if you aren't careful, the computer could short.
Dust is a concern, but only over the long term.
If you truely cannot wait this may work (but I disclaim all responsibility if anyone uses this method!):
If you have the spare time and parts, take a plastic bin that can hold all of your computer. Then cut holes for ventilation and depending on how hot your internals get use a fan or two to blow air out and keep the rig cool.

This is a very rough rig and it may not work well. Also, consider using an old computer case, if not yours, a neighbors perhaps.
leaving a computer out in the open is asking for trouble, but that being said if you don't have any pets/kids and are not worried about moisture or static, then I see no reasson why it won't work for a short amount of time see this thread: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2265095

AngelBacon

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
ah, so keeping the parts in a cardboard box would (in theory) work? I just can't have any kids/pets around it and keep it clean around my box, also keep it well ventialted with holes. I think I see how I can get this to work for a little bit.

is there anyway I can prevent electical/static shock? other than putting it on cardboard.

I'm still considering it. I'm just using my other rig at the moment.

I think my parts will get here sooner than expected. I might not do it after all. it was nice learning from that thread though

daniel atlas

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013

If it possible, I would suggest putting your new rig in your old computer temporarily until your new rig arrives, if you put it in the cardboard, just make sure you are grounded: that means discharging any static electricity (the best way to do this is to buy an anti-static wristband, but this is in my opinion a waste of money, if you are careful, you can do without one. Of course, I am the one sitting by, so if you really wanted to be sure, you can touch something that you know is grounded. Also, adding something non-conductive under the cardboard box, like plastic , would prevent further problems.