On Dec. 13, 2013 my 2005 Toyota Highlander Limited all of a sudden would not start. It has been at the Toyota Dealer for 2 wee

Katydid926

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
I would like to bring you up to date on your vehicle. We got a new master key registered to your vehicle and was able to get your key registered as a valet key. The immobilizer ecu is working and sending the correct signal to the engine’s ecm (electronic control module). The issue is now, the engine cranks but does not start. We checked all of the circuits and connectors in that circuit, everything is correct. We contact Toyota engineering and made sure that there isn’t something we overlooked. According to engineering, the engine ecm is not accepting the immobilizer signal and needs a an ecm.

A new ecm (from toyota) is $740.00, so I had the parts department try to locate a used ecm to try and save some money. We located one that can be here saturday for $300. I went ahead and ordered it and it will be here on saturday. I will work with you regarding the labor. I apologize for this situation, but engineering has seen this problem before. What they are telling us is the immobilizer ecu damaged your engine ecm when the immobilizer shorted out.

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
I've seen things like this happen on ecus before. If the wrong voltage is sent down a pin you can fry the ecu. Most of my electrical experience is with industrial engines though. I had one customer set up a telecommunication device and sent 24v through the can bus which fried the ecu instantly.