Monitor won't wake back up after PC has been running several hours.

Obie146

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
I started a long download on my PC when I went home on my lunch break. After work I came home to check the status of the download and hit the space-bar on my keyboard, moved my mouse and the monitor would not recognize a signal. I tried turning the monitor on then off and nothing. I even tried plugging the monitor into the motherboards video card and back to the video card and nothing. Please note that the computer itself never went to sleep.

Since I had no way of seeing what was on my screen I was forced to reboot the PC. This of course caused a kernel 41 error in windows. I checked the event log and am unable to determine what caused the problem. I did notice that I lost internet connection at one point in the afternoon, but I don't understand why this would prevent my monitor from responding to a signal.

My PC is BRAND NEW. The monitor is about a year old (Samsung S23B300) with a DVI connection. My Video Card is a Radeon R9 270X, also brand new.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Do you Overclock? If so the system could be overheating and shutting down during that time, same with the GPU. Check temp, like play a demanding game and see how hot the system gets.

I use to have problems with putting my PC to sleep, when I was overclocked on my phenom, though it was stable. With my 8320 I can sleep and wake the system up just fine, but half my programs don't look like they are running but are.

Also what drivers are you using, if your not using the newest drivers (13.12), Uninstall you old drivers, restart your PC even if it didn't ask you to, then install 13.12 drivers and reboot again. If your using 13.12, tou may want to go back to older drivers. AMD is still working on optimized drivers for the R9 cards, so that...
Do you Overclock? If so the system could be overheating and shutting down during that time, same with the GPU. Check temp, like play a demanding game and see how hot the system gets.

I use to have problems with putting my PC to sleep, when I was overclocked on my phenom, though it was stable. With my 8320 I can sleep and wake the system up just fine, but half my programs don't look like they are running but are.

Also what drivers are you using, if your not using the newest drivers (13.12), Uninstall you old drivers, restart your PC even if it didn't ask you to, then install 13.12 drivers and reboot again. If your using 13.12, tou may want to go back to older drivers. AMD is still working on optimized drivers for the R9 cards, so that could vary well be an issue they need to fix.

Solution

Obie146

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Thanks. It looks like it was a combination of avast and Windows update while the monitor was asleep. I've disabled monitor sleep and have the screen saver on and simply turn the monitor off when I'm gone for over an hour.

If your having issues with Avast, you could try other Anti-virus programs, Or just disable Windows Updates and update when you want to. I only update my system once a week, Hate the updates when Im gaming or Folding because it will try to restart the system if no one clicks the Postpone button.

Taglierino

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014
It's not an Avast problem. It depends from AMD R9 video card series (and others). Probably caused by drivers, this is a known issue. For now the solution is to deactivate sleep mode.

The_Icon

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
I have the same problem with no solution as of yet :(

I have been trying to solve this issue for several months now, it is amazing how common the issue is but yet there is no clear solution to the problem or understand what might be causing the problem.

I have set my computer to put the monitor into standby mode after 15 minutes of inactivity - during which my monitor is still powered on but the PC shuts off the video. To wake it, usually bumping the mouse or pressing any key/button will wake it. I have found recently that sometimes it won't come out of standby. Moving the mouse won't wake it, hitting keys won't wake it, it just remains in standby mode - the PC is still on and running but the display won't wake.

This is very random, most of the time it wakes up, rarely, it just doesn't. I tried to click the num lock button on and off to see if it responds, and most of the time it does, however I think there were a couple of instances it doesn't. I tried to go to bios and select the wakeup event and switch between bios and os, if I select OS, my computer simply doesn't start after the hybrid shutdown of windows 8.1, so I set it back to bios.

My computer is configured not to sleep, but just to turn off display after 15 minutes. I thought the issue was related to AMD cards but apparently it is also with Nvidia cards as well. Any help would be appreciated.

My specs, everything is up to date as of the post, all updates are checked using msi live update software:

MSI Z87-G43 Gaming Motherboard - Bios ver: A.60
Sapphire Tri X R9 290 OC - Catalyst 14.7 RC3
Intel Core i5 4670

Here_to_lern

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
Disabling sleep is a workaround, but your issue may return. Eventually, my monitor would not wake after a reboot. Turned out to be bad caps in the power supply. FWIW, mine is a sammy too. Have/had same issue in a second monitor and a TV. Cheap caps.

lancery78

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012

i have the same issue, it was working fine but then i re did my os on raid ssd now this problem occurs. my computer never goes to sleep. but i can seem to wake up the monitors or the keyboards even though my system is running in the morning?

vacaloca

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013

Do you also have an AMD/ATI video card and using newer drivers? That might be the culprit... see about downgrading to a previous driver version if so!

lancery78

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012

i do have the new one, but i was using it before, and then i did a system refresh with a fresh install of 8.1 pro, and thats when it started happening, form what i can tell i changed nothing from what i was doing before except raid ssd. but ill give it a shot with all of these and check back

JTBadger

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015

Having the same problem. Blender will run for a while on a render and randomly the monitors will sleep and not wake. As such I can't run my renders all the way through and know when they're done. Specs below.

Summary
Operating System
-Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
CPU
-Intel Core i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz 30 °C
-Haswell-E/EP 22nm Technology
RAM
-32.0GB Unknown @ 1199MHz (16-16-16-39)
Motherboard
-ASRock X99 Professional (CPUSocket) 30 °C
Graphics
-DELL U2212HM (1920x1080@60Hz)
-DELL SP2309W (2048x1152@60Hz)
-SyncMaster (1680x1050@59Hz)
-3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (ZOTAC International) 44 °C
Storage
-232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SSD) 33 °C < - OS Drive
-232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SSD) 28 °C
-2794GB Western Digital WDC WD3003FZEX-00Z4SA0 (SATA) 30 °C < - Render Drive
-2794GB Western Digital WDC WD3003FZEX-00Z4SA0 (SATA) 31 °C
-931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00RKKA0 (SATA) 27 °C
-1863GB Western Digital WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0 (SATA) 34 °C
-2794GB Seagate Expansion Desk USB Device (SSD) 33 °C
Optical Drives
-PIONEER BD-RW BDR-208D
Audio
-High Definition Audio Device

Not an ATI issue, nor a Samsung monitor issue as my two Dells are doing the same thing. This machine was built (minus monitors) the first week of 2015, so not yet a month old. The GPU is from November, but I'm the first owner. Also, I have the computer set to never sleep; I'm good at shutting down when I'm done with something. Thoughts?

JTBadger

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015

This is under Power Options > Edit Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings > (New window pops up) > PCI Express > Link State Power Management. Set this to Off. Hopefully this fixes it.

talon4x4

Reputable
Feb 19, 2014

I am also having the same issue everyone is talking about. I went to change the Link Power State as you suggested and mine was already set to off. So that obviously isn't the trick. But what about Hybrid Sleep Mode?? Mine was set to ON. I have now turned it off. I'm really hoping that was it.

Its such an odd problem. I reinstalled the o/s on my machine a little over a month ago and I didn't start having the issue of the monitor not waking just recently. So I'm wondering if maybe its a Windows update that screwed something up.

theradeonxt

Reputable
Oct 4, 2014
R9 270 and Philips display user here. Running on Windows 7 x64 sp1 and Catalyst Omega 14.12. No Windows updates after November 2014.

After the 5 mins (as per my control pannel settings) the display enters sleep mode, but when I move the mouse it turns on and stays on a black screen (it's receiving video input though).
I can get the image back via Ctrl+Alt+Del and bringing up the windows logon.

Also, my gpu gadget reports gpu temp, fan speed (pretty much everything) as ZERO when this happens. So I can only conclude it's a driver issue associated with the power saving settings (don't know what the Amd term is for the Pitcairn gpu).

tgp1994

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
I've been having this same issue as well. I was fairly convinced that it was an AMD issue since I have an AMD processor, chipset, and GPU. Because JTBadger doesn't seem to have any AMD hardware, perhaps this is then a Windows 8.1 problem?

I've found that I can get my monitor to wake up by logging onto my machine via RDP. I then disconnect from the session, and log on normally at my machine.

Reputable
Sep 18, 2014
Can only speak for AMD/ATI cards but I had a 6970 that would crash? malfunction? call it what you will, only running on 2D clocks. At 3D even with a decent overclock, it would run for days with OCCT, Unigine, and even Furmark. I finally discovered that the card would only run with the Original catalyst drivers/ and CCC. Not a single update past 11.x would not eventually die on me while the card was idle. I just picked up a used R9 290 and it does the exact same thing, only I'm not sure what driver it shipped with. Try running the OE driver. I can't recall if I tried disabling Windows shutting the monitor off or not and just screen saving, it seems obvious, but if your not too worried with power bills, sounds like something to try.

Try running dual monitors too. Keeping your graphics card in performance mode may help. Still on Win7 and an x58 and 980x stone age combo here.

tgp1994

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

I'll take a second monitor if you have any to spare ;)