Should I upgrade to FX 8350 or wait?

spacely11

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Right now I have a FX 8120 and it has really served me well and I have really no complaints. I game mostly on the computer I have and the main reason I went with AMD was bang for buck.

I now have the funds to upgrade to a better processor but I'm thinking I should wait for Steamroller. I've google'd a bunch on it and recent sources say that it won't released this coming year (2014). Right now I'm able to comfortably max out about all my games (have a 7950 gpu) except Skyrim when I have heavy ENBs and mods on or Crysis 3 with heavy anti-aliasing. Part of me just wants to get a new CPU just because but I do want to be wise about this.
I was looking at the 8350 and the 9590, but also came across info on a not released 9650.

I'm not a fanboy whatsoever...but I do prefer AMD's products and do like what they build. I know all about the 3570k and other performances of Intel's stuff.

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
I right with you on the 8120 as I have it too. And in my opinion, it's really more of a sidegrade than anything else. W/O benchmarking, I doubt any tangible or noticeable differences will be there after everything I've seen, which is why I won't bother. Unfortunately, the Vishera series seems like the last AM3+ cpu to come out as AMD's main focus seems to be on APU's.

It's the hardest thing to say but you should probably leave this upgrade itch alone for awhile and pocket your money until you need a completely new build (2015 or later) or the next AM3+ proc comes out (maybe not even 2015). My 2 cents.

Steamroller is only being released for the 4th gen Kaveri APU. It will not perform better than the Piledriver generation FX CPUs because based on AMD's 2014 Roadmap, the FX series is still the "performance" CPU series. The same roadmap shows that the current generation FX CPUs will be sold throughout 2014 and probably into 2015 and it seems it will be the last series of AM3+ CPU before AMD decided to retire socket AM3+ for good in 2015.

jghaverty

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2013
If anything, if you're not overclocking, that would be more worthwhile. The fastest desktop CPU in the world is an 8120!

Assess your other places... how is your GPU, what ram do you have, what hard drives do you have, etc etc. (Edit: I see you have a 7950, I cant imagine you need to upgrade that really)

spacely11

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012

I laughed a bit at that too lol

But thank you guys for the input. What I've noticed from my 7950 though is that I got it a year ago and it's one of the best bang for buck cards I've seen. I'm not quite understanding though why it's like $400 at newegg and amazon and other places now when I got it for $300 and with the release of the R9 and R7 I thought the prices would go down. It's strange.

But I am overclocking my 8120 and it's only at about 3.8 GHz right now. I had it at 4.0 once but I did that w/o increasing any voltages and stuff and it was a little unstable sometimes. I got a new cooler and have just not gotten to overclocking it any higher. I will sit down one time and just straight overclock and test when I get the time and see what I get. I do like making the most of the equipment I have now.

I think I'm going to wait and spend some of the money on peripherals. New keyboard and mouse would be nice. Plus I should see how my system performs with the new games coming out like Watch Dogs and Witcher 3 before I want to upgrade some more stuff.