Overclock FX 6300 with cooler stock

Marcos Guerrero

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Hi , this week i will buy it a FX 6300 ( is the maximum for my mother ) , my mother is Gigabyte GA-870A-USB3 rev 3.1 , my case is VTB 8030 and my power suplly is PowerCooler 500W ( i am from Argentina ) ... So my question is , is recommend to go for the turbo of this CPU to 4.1 ghz or is better to get it a 3.5hz like std .

I dont want to play games , only for databases ( postgreSQL ) , so i dont know if is effective to overclock or i i will notice any diference of performance with turn on the turbo . What do u think ?

overclock it to 4.1 all the time. might be able to get up to 4.2 even 4.3 depending on your quality chip, case and ambient temps etc. Anymore and itll get too hot, and youll need an aftermarket cooler.

btw its 3.5ghz normally, with turbo enabled it goes to 4.1 ghz when under la lot of CPU load. IF you overclock it to 4.1 (disabling turbo, setting it to "manual") it will stay at 4.1ghz all the time. You'll have to monitor your temperatures with HWmonitor (run as admin) to make sure it stays under 60/65 degrees.

Marcos Guerrero

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
So is the same to activate the turbo and overcloking at 4.1ghz and is not dangerous ? ? ? Do u think is necessary to do that or i dont notice any signifcant diference in postgreSQL for example ? ? ?

well think of it this way. When it DOES go up to 4.1 on turbo mode, it doesn't stay there. Itll rev down to 3.5 again, and just jump up to 4.1 temporarily. WHen you overclock it at 4.1 it will stay there the whole time, never go lower. So the temps will be much higher too, you will have to run HWmonitor and check the temps while running a small fft test on prime95. Prime95, set worker window priority to 8. Click torture test- small fft- run, and have HWmonitor already running before you start prime95, once you start prime95 you wont want to touch the comp. just leave it alone its under a lot of stress and doing things during a test will likely overload the CPU and crash. SO I set HW monitor up on the side and prime95 on the other side (so I can see both at once) and let it run.

Marcos Guerrero

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
thanks , better i dont overclock with the cooler stock , right ? LOL , and i am not sure if i will notice any improvement really for 4.1 to 3.5ghz at postgresQL

well if temps are low enough, and you keep It at 3.9-4.1 all the time you will see some performance gain. but on an aftermarket cooler, you will increase the lifespan of your system, the fans wont be balzin at full speed all the time, and you will be able to push upwards 4.6Ghz like ive gotten on my FX 6300

Marcos Guerrero

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
4.6ghz , wow ! So the best form with the cooler stock is to overcloking to 4.1ghz MAX and then run a prime95 , or the better option is go for a CM212evo ( the CM 212 plus dont support FX , right ? ) and grow up to 4.5ghz for example , and is better too for the lifespan of all the system like u say

Yeah but the motherboard will hold you back the most here...one little vrm heatsink. Weak power phase. I should've realized that before. With that board id say 4.3/4 is a more realistic Max..l my motherboard is better than yours but worse than many others very in the middle. Asus m5a97 r2.0 has been good to me

Marcos Guerrero

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Okey okey , so with cooler stock better do not touch anything , right ? ( or i can turn on TURBO ? ) ... And if i want to go for 4.3ghz i will buy it the CM 212+ ( this is compatible with the FX ? ) , right ? ? ?

With the stock cooler, touching nothing, you will get 3.5 Ghz and goes up to 4.1Ghz with TURBO which is enabled by default. If you overclock on the stock cooler you can get potentially up to 4 or 4.1 Ghz, and it stays there, never drops back to 3.5 or anything under you set it to. With an aftermarket cooler like that 212 evo you can get up to 4.5 ghz easily

Marcos Guerrero

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Thanks 4 all ! So i will dont touch nothing with the stock cooler , and i i want to improve it to 4.5ghz , i will go for the 212 evo ! :D Thanks