Strange FPS behaviour at FSX with MSI GTX 760 and i7 4770

zivo

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Hi Guys.

I have an i7 4770 CPU. I built the Desktop for video editing and it runs quite fine for that.

Now (while having a strong Computer), I got FSX Gold (no addons so far) and played it on the machine with 3 Monitors and the FPS were quite ok (20-30 FPS). I actually did use the 3 Monitors just with the CPU grafic in FSX with full details. So not bad at all.

Now I received my new MSI gtx 760 and connected all Monitors on it. The first times when starting the flights in FSX I got strange monitor behaviours but with the standard Settings it worked. (it's anyway strange that the previous Setting, which I tried again afterwards were working as well then).

Nevertheless my main Problem right now: I do get horrible FPS (starts with 60 and goes down to 5-18 after about 20 seconds) with the gtx 760. Driver is up to date (just installed it).

I played with a lot of Settings, decreased everything, changed Resolution, only one Monitor. Nothing works.

Quite strange for me and you might miss some more info, happy to provide it to you.

Does anyone have an idea where the Problem might be? After 10 years not configuring a new PC I must have missed something?

Thanks,
zivo

zivo

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
OK, here is the HW I bought:

2X 8GB Kingston HyperX blu. PC3-12800U CL10
be quiet! PURE POWER L8 400W (that's my Major concern as I did not plan to buy a graphic Card at that time)
Corsair Carbide Series 200R, ATX, ohne Netzteil
Intel Core i7-4770 Box, LGA1150
Samsung SSD 840 EVO Basic 250GB SATA 6Gb/s
Scythe Mugen 4, für alle Sockel geeignet
Seagate Barracuda 7200 3000GB, SATA 6Gb/s
Asus H87M-E Mainboard

the machine was configured based on an article of the very professional c't Magazine, so I thought I would be ok with it. Nevertheless I googled a lot and compared components over several weeks before buying.

2 fans built in, no additional ones but my machine is not getting warm at all. I don't hear the graphic Card. (OK, the MSI should be a silent one)

I am concerned of the 400W power, but it doesnt make that much sense to me (But I am not a pro in regards to HW).

Can I check somewhow what the graphic Card is doing when using FSX? I would love to but I have no clue how. Maybe this can give some indications? I only see the Nvidia System Setting tool here but nothing helps in there (I already played with the 3D graphic Settings for the FSX game in there (Programm Setting tab next to the global Setting tab), quite nice to do that but not really sure I am doing the right things)

Cheers,
zivo

zivo

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
can I see Software wise the power consuption. based on my Research Prior to buying the 400 W should be fine. The grafic Card is 170 W Maximum. In total I did not expect more than 350 W. unfortunately I dont have anyone who can borrow me another PSU.

zivo

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Ok, just donwloaded GPU Z and it tells me that I have 44°C but I have 99% GPU Load, which is Maximum... Already when I have just started flying in a small window. Power Consuption is at 30 %.

When I stop flying my GPU load goes down to 1% and power consuption to 23%.

So the question is: why is GPU load immediately 99%?

zivo

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Ok, just performed another test:

changed BIOS so I can use onboard graphic of the CPU and gtx 760 in parallel. One Monitor with the CPU graphic and the other one with the 760.

FSX in in Window mode.

And guess what: when moving the window to the Monitor powered by the CPU graphic I get 40-50 FPS. And when moving it back to the graphic Card Monitor I get the 8-20 FPS. And GPU load of CPU graphic is at about 70% and graphic Card GPU load goes up to 99%.

I can't get any indication that the 400 W PSU is not enough. Do you have a tool to test the real power consuption? The GPU Z tells me about the GPU power of the CPU graphic Card (which is just 7 W) but not of the MSI one.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
After some google searching, I noticed that there are quite a few posts in forums where people complain about low fps, and some other threads with FSX optimizations.

You should try and test your configuration on a graphics demanding title (BF3, Batman, etc.) and monitor FPS.

If you have stable FPS then you should try to search on some flight sim forums for FSX specific optimizations.

Here's one - http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?235607-i7-990X-and-GTX580-low-FPS-on-FSX-!

zivo

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Hi doron,

thanks for the hints. I did that quite a lot. Also I switched my grafic Card from power and plugged power in again. I also installed the Driver again. Surprisingly the Card seems to work now. 3 Monitors on the gtx 760, not the highest Details, but I do get constantly ~60 FPS. I assume there was a Problem with the inital Driver Installation.

Thanks guys for the Support.

Cheers,
zivo