DDR3 spec compare reality check

AimCOTaco

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
**Does this make any sense (this is a chat I just had trying to spec some ram):

Hello, my name is Jessica_C . How may I help you?
Andy L: Hello, I'm trying to understand why CT2KIT25664BA1339 would not be compatible with a Dell Optiplex 380 mini-tower? All of the specs seem to line up. I understand you have another 4gb kit listed for this machine but I've found a good buy on the p/n above and from the specs they look the same? Thanks.
Jessica_C : The information is close, the part number seen on Crucial.com is web site specific, the part number as it would appear on the modules themselves would be CT2KIT25664BA1339A and that would be the part needed for the system.
Andy L: so these will work with my system?
Andy L: The reason I've asked is they spec out on your site the same as the one recommended for the opti380 but your site says they are not compatible. I just want to understand why, is it just that it's not the latest recommendation from cruicial? Bottom line is will the CT2KIT25664BA1339 work in my opti380. Thanks
Jessica_C : the difference between the two is the letter A at the end of the part number. The CT2KIT25664BA1339A is required for that system and the CT2KIT25664BA1339 will not perform properly.
Jessica_C : While the specifications are the same the recommended part is manufactured a little bit differently and specifically designed to work with that motherboard.
Andy L: Can you tell me what the 'A' means as far as the difference? I thought that matching all the specs would be all that mattered, are there unpublished specs?
Jessica_C : The A at the end means the module was manufactured specifically for the Intel 4 Series Chipset as your motherboard has. So they are simply made a little differently to meet the motherboard requirements. You should be able to locate CT2KIT25664BA1339A from a reseller as well.
Andy L: very interesting, very strange. Thanks for your time.
Jessica_C : You're welcome. I was happy to assist you, and I hope I was able to answer all of your questions today. Thank you for visiting Crucial.com, and have a wonderful day.
Thank you for using Expert Online. You may now close this window.

**Does the Intel 4 chipset have some hidden requirements that don't allow me to just spec ram, from you know, ram specs?

Thanks is andvance

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
It may be that you have a Dell that uses proprietary DRAM, is this a socket 775 GigaByte mobo? If so ot may be one of the ones that takes slight specific DRAM timings, Dell used to do this (use proprietary components to try and get people to buy all their upgrades from them at grossly inflated prices - did same with HDs for awhile