New (First) Gaming PC build, Ideas / suggestions?

XtrmBragNRytz

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
Well, for starters, my budget is $1000 - $1200 CAD and if possible, i'd like to buy mostly from Memory Express seeing as they're local, but if i have to go online, i'd prefer to only get stuff from one site, (sorry if that presents a challenge)

It's going to be used for gaming and everyday use. Games i plan on playing are pretty much all over the place, RTS (SCII), FPS(BF4), open world (AC4) and likely MMOs as well

I only plan to use one monitor, because that's all i really need and have space for.

keyboards and stuff are going to be bought at a later time, i have some older stuff that will suffice for now. (suggestions on stuff is welcome)

Basically i'm getting a system to break away from console gaming.

One last note, i'm trying to keep a red and black color scheme in this case. so if parts must change, ones that follow the colors are much appreciated

The system i have set up so far is as follows

Case: Phantom 530 black (Newegg)
(Case isn't very negotiable, i'm in love with it)
Processor: Intel i5 4670k(memory express)
(i'm really leaning towards intel)
RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 8gb (2 x 4gb)(Memory express)

Cooling: Buying 2x red led 200mm fans for the top(memory express)

HDD: 1TB(memory express)

Motherboard: MSI z87-GD65(memory express)
( I really like the look of this motherboard with the rest of the parts, if it has to change, please try to keep the color scheme?)
Graphics card: ASUS direct CUII OC GeForce GTX 760(memory express)

Power Supply: Corsair CX500M(memory express)

So far, i've asked a few friends and they say it checks out. what do you think?

Thanks in advance for the help

Niko_boy

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
That Build is quite low for performance at your budget, especially the gpu.
however this is a better and every component's prices from your selective website.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($248.00 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Memory Express)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Memory Express)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($489.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Silverstone SST-RL01B-W-USB 3.0 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750B BRONZE 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Memory Express)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $1192.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

The build is self explanatory that how worth it is for the price!
you getting an intel build with a high end 1080p GPU.
great deal.

-You can move the processor to i7 too i guess , if you want support for stuff like rendering and capturing due to hyperthreading of i7. However for gaming i5 is sufficient!
-GPU is a Zotac's 780 which have some decent cooling system and is a GHz edition card.
that gpu is enough to maximize settings for any game for long time at 1080p at great FPS.
It can be overclocked well enough too , though which isnt really needed.
-PSU is a 750w because it provide a good proofing for future , for SLI + Overclocking.
Same can be said for CPU cooler which will help to reach higher clocks without any high temps.
-Case has a good air flow and nice protection for dust. Though you can choose any Case of your choice reason being you have enough bucks LEFT ALREADY!

HDD 1 TB (@7200 RPM) is enough for any gamer or some other uses.
The SSD for OS installation which will give a boost to windows' performance and some lite programs.

XtrmBragNRytz

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013

That sounds aboslutely amazing. the processor is only a dollar more at memory express so the only thing i really need to go online for is the case (my heart is still with the phantom). also, if i were to use the MSI board i had in my original, sould this still all work nicely / the same?

Thanks VERY much for your help, the build you've shown me is better than i ever imagined!

Niko_boy

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
yep absolutely no problem with that MoBo. Actually it is a gaming motherboard with great design ( i actually love it ) and has a good overclocking the CPU potential. if that fits in budget grab it for sure.
its for like 190 CAD , i think you will go out of budget.
what you can do is cancel the SSD and just get that mobo though i think its not that wise choice.
If i think again SSD isnt really needed , that mobo will give your Build a very great design.

The case "Phantom 530 black" is a very good case but its kinda over priced maybe again will take you out of the budget and actually is very not necessary at all especially if you are budget bounded.

Maybe you can save up some bucks by dropping GPu performance by like 40% i.e. choosing a R9 280x which is again a performing card for 1080p if you demand a good average of 50~FPS its enough.
However if you looking for some very good FPS for above 60 to 100s a 780 is more worth.
Also again dropping off GPU for a better case or mobo will be stupid idea :p

Just sitck to a case for around 60-70 CADs
for a more good design case like this are best:
Cooler Master HAF 912 -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233
Rosewill ATX Mid Tower Black Gaming Computer Case Galaxy-02 - > http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Tower-Gaming-Computer-Galaxy-02/dp/B00E0FOCUA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1386721077&sr=8-8&keywords=midtower+case
i loved this one aswell:
NZXT Guardian 921 RB ATX Mid Tower Case - http://www.amazon.com/NZXT-Guardian-Tower-Black-921RB-001-BL/dp/B004351H9G/ref=pd_cp_pc_3

either of case has good design + good space for wiring and air flow.

XtrmBragNRytz

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013

I think i'll be okay stretching my budget a little. i set it around there so that i didn't go too crazy and end up with a really nice computer, but no money to buy games for it haha.

for a nice mobo and a sexy case, i'm willing to dish out just a little more

XtrmBragNRytz

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013

Thanks very much for all of your help. I'll give the cases you suggested some thought

Niko_boy

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

your welcome.
good luck and a happy new year ;)