Is this AMD Overdrive score bad?

Nathan Perry

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
I have a AMD Phenom II X6 1065t processor that I'm planning on upgrading to a i5 soon but after overclocking it too 3.4 ghz I got a score of 5918. Is that bad? And how big of a difference will it be when I upgrade to a i5-3570k?

Thats a decent OC for a chip that started at 2.9GHz. I have no idea what scores on AMD overdrive mean, use something representative of the workload you will be doing, why did you feel the need to OC, why do you think you need more CPU power?

If its for games, check your FPS with and without the OC, did it change? If not an upgrade to an i5-3570k will make zero difference whatsoever, if it is for video encoding check the benchmarks for your software see how much of a difference it will make. Increasing CPU power will only improve performance in tasks that are presently CPU limited, if your graphics card is limiting your FPS in games improving the CPU won't do you any good.

Nathan Perry

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
My interest in upgrading derives from my performance in games. I just upgraded from a Radeon 7970 to a MSI 780 lightning which hands down should give me performance of 60 fps+ in games with a decent PC build. After playing games that were more GPU intensive I could run them no problem 60 fps on ultra but playing World of Warcraft I found I had marginal difference compared to my old graphics card. I tried overclocking the CPU too see if it would reduce the bottleneck but it seemed to make a small difference. So now I'm wondering if the CPU is still bottlenecking or the RAM. My RAM is 8 gbs of DDR3 SDRAM at 733 mhz. I can't imagine how the RAM could make that big of a difference but I have no clue.