PA248Q true 8bit ips vs VG248QE 144hz lightboost monitors

raknarius

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
ok I need your help ive narrowed my choice to these two monitors

first off my needs, please bear with me.

ill never use 3d
my video card will do 60fps with max everything at 1080p but I wont be doing 120fps or 144fps
I don't want to hack my monitor to use 2d lightboost
I play all types of games and really want the best quality with the least lag, im not a competitive gamer I don't care what my kill ratio is in bf4 which is only one of my many games, rts, rpg, mmo etc.

So for general gaming use, non 3d, at 60fps please tell me would you recommend me getting the true 8bit ips or the super fast tn.

thanks for all whos helped me, I feel one of these monitors will suit my needs, and with your help ill get the right one

Solution
You answered your own question already...There is NO REASON AT ALL to get a TN panel at 144hz if you're not going to play past 60fps...The IPS will crush the TN in picture quality, so get the IPS. The response time will be better on the TN, but I would bet that you won't even notice a difference. The response time on IPS panels these days isn't even that bad. If you are not a competitive gamer, you don't need insanely fast response time. The IPS is the clear choice for you by a mile.

Quakemz

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
You answered your own question already...There is NO REASON AT ALL to get a TN panel at 144hz if you're not going to play past 60fps...The IPS will crush the TN in picture quality, so get the IPS. The response time will be better on the TN, but I would bet that you won't even notice a difference. The response time on IPS panels these days isn't even that bad. If you are not a competitive gamer, you don't need insanely fast response time. The IPS is the clear choice for you by a mile.

Solution

raknarius

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006

thank you,

that is the conclusion ive come up with however ive come to that after reading many posts and asking many questions, but the truth is sometimes you get people answers that are completely off, and so after narrowing it down and why I narrowed it down I wanted to put it concisely to you guys to make sure I got it right. thanks for all who have helped

Nonsense, try 60FPS an 60Hz and there will be tearing all over the place, practically unplayable without vsync, with 120 or 144Hz at 60FPS, the tearing and wobble effect from moving side to side is practically gone.

Quakemz

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

That's very odd because I don't have that problem with any of the 3 60Hz monitors I use now, or any of my past monitors, or any of the other 5 60hz monitors in my house...I wonder why that is...

Saying you NEED a 120hz+ monitor for 60fps gaming is absurd. Just absurd. The majority of gamers play on 60hz monitors at 60fps~.

Probably because you either use vsync or are blind.

Quakemz

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

Nope, I turn off vsync most of the time. And I'm definitely not blind. Maybe you just use shitty components or monitors. I know tons of people that have never had this problem at all. Saying you NEED 120Hz+ to play at 60fps is absolutely ridiculous.

Quakemz

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

I think this whole comment is ridiculous. Games are unplayable without vsync on a 60Hz monitor? My games run super smooth at 60fps on my 60Hz monitor. I've never had anyone ever in my life say they couldn't play games smoothly at 60fps on a 60Hz monitor. And I spend a ton of time talking to people about this type of stuff.

Have you actually used a 120Hz monitor or are you just trying to justify the purchase of your 60Hz displays?

60Hz is often fine, perfect actually with Vsync assuming you can stay at 60FPS with it on. Without it, and capped at 60FPS, tearing everywhere, the effect is less pronouced when there is a variable framerate (jumping from say 40FPS to 60FPS), but is still very noticeable and annoying. It's simply inarguable that higher than 60Hz displays produce less tearing, there are more refreshes so there will be less frames cut in half.

Quakemz

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

I've used them, yes. In fact I just sold a 120Hz monitor a while back because I didn't find it necessary for me. I get the same smoothness at 60fps on my 60Hz monitor as I did on my 120Hz monitor. Like I said, I turn vsync off almost always too, so I can see how well I can max out games.

If it makes you happy.

Personally wouldn't buy any of those gaming 144Hz monitors anyway when there are better options, the colours are just too crappy and are inconsistent as to if or not you'll get a good one, I had three VG278H's and they were all completely different in their colour reproduction (at the same settings) and one even had a gridded effect to the motion. Currently on a 96Hz, 1440p, PLS Korean import, if they were sold in the US/EU at the price they are at and people actually knew they existed no one would buy anything else, suggest you look at them OP. If its not an option, decide which is more important to you, colour or smoothness of motion.

Quakemz

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

Well I'm not trying to call you a liar, but I spend a ton of my time assisting people around me with PCs/periphs, and In the last 3 years I've probably gamed on 40~ different monitors varying in specs. And I have never had a tearing problem at 60Hz with 60fps.

What 1440p monitor do you use? I've been meaning to buy one soon. I'm assuming you had to OC it for 96Hz?

Qnix/X-Star. Yes it has to be OC'd, but its pretty much guaranteed to get to 96Hz as theres no proccessing, input is taken to the panel, theres a thread somewhere on overclock.net with a list of probably 100 people that have got them and only a handful couldn't get to 96Hz.

120Hz is do-able but very dark greys start to become black, and between 96Hz and 120Hz isn't massive. That and you need to try different DVI cables to get it to work, some cables produce green lines on the screen for some reason, others not. Got two both do 120Hz with the right cable.

Quakemz

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

I'll have to look into that. It must use a Samsung screen if it claims PLS. Sounds pretty legit.

The $35 price difference.

I suggest you look around for places that have a less than 3 dead pixel policy, Accessorieswhole is one. They don't open any of the monitors to check them, all they do is send them out as Perfect Pixel and refund you the $35 if it ends up having more than the amount they said it would. Both of mine were non PP and don't have any, and according to what most people say they really don't ever seem to have dead pixels.

The real killer is backlight bleed, thats what most people complain about. One of mine has it, bad enough to make me open it up and fix it (im picky, reason I had three VG278H's sent back...), one of them had none at all.

raknarius

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
so if you get dead pixel monitor from them, you keep it and get your 35 dollars back, how does that help lol, btw I don't want to oc my monitor or mess with it at all and I do want a a warranty so those imports are out for me. but definatly thanks all whos helped with this

Quakemz

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
Well if you are going to choose between the other two options, then I'd go with the IPS unless you have a system that outputs substantially more than 60fps and you are a competitive gamer. I've personally never had any problems with a 60Hz monitor, nor has anyone I know, but anything can happen I guess. I also just prefer IPS picture quality over TN, as everyone should.

Neo Alison

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014

well this was good competitive post lol But I did not find what I am looking for (at least in my eyes)
I am going to get this rig so what do you think that I should pick as a Monitor and I really would like the fast response but given my poor ping time I don't think I would ever benefit from that (I could be a competitive gamer tough but ping time fails me) ! So I have hit the budget and right now I can only spent ~290$ on a Monitor but I really am confused between 144hz and IPS's sharp colors ! Please guide me expertly.

i7 4930K
Asus Republic Of Gamers Rampage IV Black Edition
ASUS R9 290 DirectCU II OC 4 GB Or Asus Strix GTX 980 OC DCII
(ALTHOUGH I am not sure about which one and any help regarding that would be great)
Corsair Vengeance Pro - 4X8=32GB - CL 11 - 2133
and the other parts that comes with this kind of rig.

thanks in advance
Neo

It is true that on a 60hz monitor, not using v-sync does make tearing worse, but it's not unplayable. It might become unplayable to you, once you get used to not having to deal with bad tearing. I know I hate it a lot, and would never use 60hz again, but before I got used to 120hz, I was ok with tearing, even though it did bother me some.