DVI to VGA adapter not working with my old VGA monitor

Maro44

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
I just built my first gaming PC, and I have an old vga dell monitor which I was shaky about, when I used the DVI to VGA adapter that came with my graphics card the screen would go into Power Save mode and it would go to sleep after a few moments, im certain that I haven't done anything wrong with the build, the computer works well, all fans are spinning, except for when I use the adapter, I tried different monitors ( in which all are VGA ) but it did not work, I took my Monitor's VGA cable and tested the DVI to VGA adapter in air, unplugged to my graphics card, and it would STILL go into power save mode, it gave me a hint that the adapter is not working with my VGA Monitor, so I thought of getting a DVI monitor and a DVI cable, and that is why im here for today to make sure if DVI monitor is my problem, Thank You very much.

bignastyid

Titan
What video card do you have? Many video cards have 2 dvi ports 1 is dvi-i and the other is dvi-d. dvi-i carries both a digital and analog(vga) signal, while dvi-d only carries a digital signal. A dvi to vga adapter will not work on a dvi-d port only the dvi-i port will work with the adapter. There are a couple of new cards(r9-290 and 290x) that only have dvi-d ports so you would either have to buy an expensive dvi to vga converter, or just buying a monitor with dvi, hdmi, or displayport.

Maro44

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Yes everything is plugged in to it's own place, the card runs aswell too. But the adapter is not working with my old vga monitor I've even tried the adapter with the monitor while the other end of the adapter which is DVI unhooked to the graphics card