Unsure of what to upgrade on my computer.

Naotis

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Hey, I'm trying to decide if its worth upgrading some parts of my computer or just building a new one but I'm a bit on the green side when it comes to knowing if something is obsolete. I have a friend willing to sell me a MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card N660 TF 2GD5/OC ( I think that's the name?) for about 80 so I got that covered, but I'm not sure what else needs to be changed. My current rig is:

Gpu: Geforce GTX 560 Ti
Cpu: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 975 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 6.00 Gb of RAM

Solution
as for what you said about the psu... thats the power plug to the wall requirements...

we need a brand (ie asus, seasonic, etcetera) and the model number. if you are unsure just list anything you see that looks like a brand or model number.

there is an issue with cpu-z and ram speeds reporting as 800mhz. try a different tool perhaps this one http://www.piriform.com/speccy or a different one to see what speed you have. it would be the dram frequency yes.

hard to find information but i at least found that the 880g chipset does have some overclocking functions and your motherboard in particular does have some oc tools.

honestly on such a limited budget and with older components doing a mild overclock may be the best thing for your...

Naotis

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
I'm also unsure of where to check what my power supply is and other things, really new to all this. Thanks to any who can help.

look on the power supply there should be a tag. look for a brand and model number and provide that here. it might be hidden on the back side of the psu where you cannot see on some models. some cases allow you to see it from the other side if you remove the other panel. some do not. not sure which is your case (no pun intended).

what kind of a budget are you looking at?

a 660 while not a great card isnt bad for middle level gaming and you're getting it for just a bit more than half the price new which isnt terrible for a budget. certainly any new $80 cards arent able to come anywhere close to it.

list your motherboard so we can tell if overclocking is an option. (if it is an option are you willing to o/c for some extra performance?)

also state what speed the ram is (ie 1333mhz, 1600mhz)

Naotis

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Okay the tag says 100-240V 50-60 Hz 10A. I was thinking only a small upgrade, $200-300 at the moment (funds kinda low at the moment from university). Would the speed be under DRAM Frequency? If so it's 803.5 Mhz or if its NB Frequency its 2000.8 Mhz. I believe my motherboard is M4A88T-M/USB3 (Using CPU-Z to try and find this information.)

as for what you said about the psu... thats the power plug to the wall requirements...

we need a brand (ie asus, seasonic, etcetera) and the model number. if you are unsure just list anything you see that looks like a brand or model number.

there is an issue with cpu-z and ram speeds reporting as 800mhz. try a different tool perhaps this one http://www.piriform.com/speccy or a different one to see what speed you have. it would be the dram frequency yes.

hard to find information but i at least found that the 880g chipset does have some overclocking functions and your motherboard in particular does have some oc tools.

honestly on such a limited budget and with older components doing a mild overclock may be the best thing for your system (if the psu can handle it... still dont know about that. oh and if the ram isnt too slow).

Solution

Znoxz

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
Maybe upgrade the motherboard to am3+ for furture upgrade and 8gb of ram.
560 ti consumption more power then a 660 so if you can run 560 ti, 660 should be fine.
Cpu is also fine.

TRENDING THREADS