First time new build

blitzlost

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Hello all, as the next generation of consoles stumbles down the road I find myself questioning my allegiance to them. With that said I've decided to build my own PC for once in my life. I have zero experience and I have just recently compiled a hardware list that I was hoping to get your opinion on. I think this list will give me enough power to last for the next few years! I mainly want to play Battlefield 4 and the zombie survival game DayZ. Obviously, I will branch into others but those are the main two. So below is the list please let me know where I've gone wrong or any tips/tricks.

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87 LGA 1150 CrossFireX HDMI DVI ATX Motherboard
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX760 or depending on how much I wish to spend EVGA GeForce GTX 770
Corsair Vengeance 16GB or Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB I'm leaning more towards Ballistix
HD: WD Blue 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal
Case: Cooler Master 500
PSU: Antec VP-450 450 Watt Energy Star Certified Power Supply

Solution
Hey man, ive had a little experience with custom builds and I happen to be having one built as we speak. from what I can research the I-7 gives not advantage to gaming over the I-5, im goin with the I-5 4670k overclocked to 4ghz with the same mother board you have listed. And as far as your graphics card goes, if you play BF4 (which is the main game I play also) go with a gtx 770 4gb, the 4gb I have researched and is by far the best option for bf4. 8gb is plenty but I like you am also going with 16b -2133ghz ram, ram is cheap, more is better lol. you will need a more powerful power supply, go with a reputable brand don't go cheap or itll burn up quick.

and a small bf4 tip, get a ssd drive when you can and have bf4 on it. battlefields...

blitzlost

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
For the gaming I would like to play everything on high settings or as close as I can get to them. I figured I should at least go with the 4770K as it is closer to the top of the line which I assume will mean that it will be more relevant as time passes on. Or is there something special with the 4670k that is specific for gaming? Should I go with 8GB of Ballistix? I know the 770 is better but it is a big more expensive. My budget isn't exuberant It's around $8-900. I want this machine to obviously be upgradeable as time goes on. Sorry for all of the follow up questions I'm a complete n00b when it comes to this stuff.

EDIT
Also, I can bump my budget up to 1k I believe. I can break it up and make it very manageable over the next two months.

blitzlost

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

Will this also run video streaming i.e. such as Twitch.tv if I wanted to stream my sessions online?

whitecat

Honorable
CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($197.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H87 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($92.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Mushkin Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($334.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $885.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-02 13:43 EST-0500)

Slauterson

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
Hey man, ive had a little experience with custom builds and I happen to be having one built as we speak. from what I can research the I-7 gives not advantage to gaming over the I-5, im goin with the I-5 4670k overclocked to 4ghz with the same mother board you have listed. And as far as your graphics card goes, if you play BF4 (which is the main game I play also) go with a gtx 770 4gb, the 4gb I have researched and is by far the best option for bf4. 8gb is plenty but I like you am also going with 16b -2133ghz ram, ram is cheap, more is better lol. you will need a more powerful power supply, go with a reputable brand don't go cheap or itll burn up quick.

and a small bf4 tip, get a ssd drive when you can and have bf4 on it. battlefields maps load from hard disk, if you can load a 5-10 seconds faster than the opponent advantage yours :)

hope this helps

(my current build I have read will run 50-70fps consitantly)

Solution