5760x1080 Single Card Solution?

Corey617

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
I'm looking at doing an upgrade to my existing build of 2 XFX Radeon 6770s in crossfire. Over the past few builds I've been strictly an AMD guy, but after 2 days of reading reviews I'm torn between AMD and NVidia cards.

The reason for the upgrade is that I recently upgraded to 3 Asus 247h-p 23.6 inch monitors and can now display up to 5760x1080 in eyefinity + crossfire. Since the upgrade I have been noticing small "micro-stutters", so it's now time to get a card that can handle my beastly resolutions.

I am really interested in a single card solution utilizing 4gb and staying around the $400 mark if possible. Running Crossfire or SLI in the future is not out of the question, but not in my budget at the moment. I'm not as heavy of a gamer as I used to be in my younger years, but will be playing games like Skyrim, possibly ESO, WoW, Possibly BF4, Neverwinter, etc.

Options I've been looking at:
R9-270x 4gb
GeForce 760 4gb
GeForce 770 4gb
will take suggestions for different cards.

Current Specs:
Asus P8z68-v Pro/Gen3 mobo
Intel i7-2600k overclocked to 4.4ghz
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo cpu cooler
HAF 922 Mid Tower Case (plenty of cooling)
16gb Corsair Vengeance RAM (can't remember the exact speeds)
dual xfx Radeon 6770s in crossfire
3 Asus 247h-p 23.6in monitors
Intel 128gb SSD
Samsung 250gb SSD
WD 1TB HDD
1000W Power Supply (can't remember the brand offhand)

I also hand-built a monster computer desk that provides adequate cooling to both mine, my wife's, and our file server pcs.

Thanks in advance!

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Any of the cards you listed should be fine. I run 4x 1080p montors and often game at 5760x1080. No matter what single card you get you wont be maxing games out, but they are definitely playable. I'm more of an AMD guy myself (I run 2x 7950's), out of the choices you listed I would take the R9. Since the 760 is the weaker card between the 770 and it, I would strike that from your list. You want the most poweful card your budget will allow.

One thing to point out, you mentioned that you noticed studdering when you went to EyeFinity Resolutions. There is a frame pacing issue with AMD Crossfire cards. AMD has fixed the issue with a driver update / new cards, however the drivers did not address the issue for EyeFinity resolutions, only for single monitor. This is most likely why you are noticing studdering now. The new AMD Cards (R9 series), crossfires in a different manner so dont have this issue, and the driver update helped remedy the issue for users on single monitors. The people like me with 7* series cards or below who run EyeFinity are right now still waiting to see if AMD fixes the issue thru drivers or leave us hanging out to dry.

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Any of the cards you listed should be fine. I run 4x 1080p montors and often game at 5760x1080. No matter what single card you get you wont be maxing games out, but they are definitely playable. I'm more of an AMD guy myself (I run 2x 7950's), out of the choices you listed I would take the R90. Since the 760 is the weaker card between the 770 and it, I would strik that from your list. You want the most poweful card your budget will allow.

One thing to point out, you mentioned that you noticed studdering when you went to EyeFinity Resolutions. There is a frame pacing issue with AMD Crossfire cards. AMD has fixed the issue with a driver update / new cards, however the drivers did not address the issue for EyeFinity resolutions, only for single monitor. This is most likely why you are noticing studdering now. The new AMD Cards (R9 series), crossfires in a different manner so doesnt have this issue, and the driver update helped remedy the issue for users on single monitors. The people like me with 7* series cards or below who run EyeFinity are right now still waiting to see if AMD fixes the issue thru drivers or leaves us hanging out to dry.

Corey617

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
I definitely meant to include the r9 280x in that grouping as well.

Another thing is, should I wait until all this business about the litecoin mining settles down? Radeon Cards are about $100 or more higher than their original prices due to that. Another reason I was considering NVidia cards.

I'm totally clueless on what litecoin mining even is, so I don't know if it will ever slowdown or how prices are going to be affected in the future.

Basically looking for the most bang for my buck.

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
I would definitely take the R9 280x vs the 270, basically no matter what for multi-monitor you want the best video card your budget can afford.

As ar as priing, I personally would wait it out. The litecoin mining is a way of using the GPU's processing power to do "mining" basically its like selling the computing power. For some people it an be a profitable venture. Most likely now that the holidays are past, stock on the cards should go back up and the prices should come back down to the MSRP. If you dont want to play the waiting game, the 770 or if you're budget allows a 780 will get you just as good of results as the AMD cards.