My computer locks up/freezes when gaming

8Bitterness

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Okay I'm not too sure what to do with this issue I have. I recently upgraded both my motherboard to an Asus M5a99FX PRO R2.0 and my CPU to an AMD FX 8350 and I've been experiencing some complete freezes playing games like Battlefield 4, Shadow Warrior and Skyrim. In my old build (with a Gigabyte 880GM-USB3L and a Phenom II x4 955BE) the same games would perform okay and I never really experienced any crashes or freezes. I can also confirm I've locked up running heaven benchmark after about 20 minutes.

The problem now is that at what are apparently random intervals no longer than 15 minutes during gaming my computer will completely freeze, audio stops, I cannot open the task manager and I even tried toggling Caps Lock and the LED on my keyboard wouldn't toggle. I would leave it stuck there for a couple of minute but nothing would happen, forcing me to hard reset the system.

I can use the computer for regular browsing and video streaming (I think I can also play some older games without freezing) without freezes too, which is kind of odd.

My PC specs would be:

Mobo: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-8350 BE (not overclocked)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 660Ti GC 3GB (not overclocked either)
Memory: 2 modules of some 4GB Kingston KVR1333D3N9/4G
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 RX 650W
HDD: Seagate ST2000DM001 (2TB)

So far what I've done to try to find a solution to the freezing is rolling back video drivers, then installing the most recent ones again, upgrading to the most recent version of the BIOS for my mobo and my chipset drivers, I've checked the connections on the mobo to make sure everything is installed fine, I've reseated the RAM and the GPU, I've run 2 cycles of memtest86+ to find no errors, I've also run Furmark's GPU burner and CPU burner (both for about 20 minutes) and I haven't crashed on them. My temperatures also don't get too excessive (CPU does't go over 43C and my GPU doesn't go over 64C). I also removed the Realtek Audio drivers and the freezing persisted. Recently I also did a fresh install of Windows 8.1 but it was to no avail.

I don't know what to do now to keep troubleshooting and would appreciate any help I could get, since I just recently got these components and they're not working for their intended purpose: gaming. If something's wrong in my post I'll gladly correct it and if further information is required I'll gladly do everything I can.

Its_Byte_00

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

sounds like a bit-flip, but no bluescreen though?

ty for the mastery on being though and going though the troubleshooting stuff...

Have you ever had any windows start up errors? If yes then you should look into some new ram

EDIT: Try removing one DIMM and try playing with just 4gb of ram, bf4 for sure wont work, but other games should. the shut down swap the dimm and see what happens. if one crashes with 1 dimm but not the other, you know its a ram issue. The power supply looks a little weak for a 660ti and a 125watt cpu...

8Bitterness

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

Okay, I removed one of the sticks and tried playing with it, my PC still locked up, then I tried with the other stick and my PC locked up again. Uhmm I put my PC components in this calculator (http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power) and with some stuff added extra and 100% usage I still was recommended 584 Watts, but I don't know if that really matters.
I don't know what to check for next.

8Bitterness

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Okay given that I've had my PSU for about 2 years and I do a lot of gaming, I calculated it with capacitor aging of both 20% and 30%, so it recommended 584 watts with 20% and 629 with 30%.
I don't know if it makes sense for an aging PSU to not shut down the system and just freeze it completely though.
If there's another possible fault other than the PSU I'm still listening. I guess it should also be noted that my old CPU was a PhenomII x4 955BE (quad core) and it also had a TDP of 125 (but I'm not sure if that's the wattage it requires or just some temperature stuff).

Its_Byte_00

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

tdp= thermal design power / max power a power supply can take, ie most FX's will go to 125 watts for OC'ing but idle out at 60 watts or so...

This just hit me.
Disable the VM options in the motherboard, it was giving me issues on a older C2D machine, might be a good start, have you tried resetting the CMOS?

This also just hit me.
A close friend of mine has a MSI platinum board, Socket 755, his only works with a 8400GS and a 9300GT installed.

GOT A DIFFERENT GPU NEARBY? Maybe a 7950 or 7850 or 7770?

8Bitterness

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

Didn't find VM options in my BIOS but I just reset the CMOS, upon testing again it still locked up. I have an HD6770 lying around but I don't think it would actually run the games that make me freeze.

Its_Byte_00

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

have you ensured the 6pin PCI plug in in the 760?
like the power plug?

8Bitterness

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

Yeah, it's a 660Ti though, so it's got the 6 pin and another 4 pin, but they're both in.

Its_Byte_00

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

LOLWHOOPS, xD

News on the 6770?

8Bitterness

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

Oh I went looking for it but I didn't manage to find it around my things, at this point I can't find anything else to try so maybe I'll try to find a place that has good PC service so they can test with a different PSU and RAM and maybe diagnose my PC. Kind of a shame, but it's been several days and I've yet to find a solution.

Its_Byte_00

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

Might be the best solution, Just don't go to best buy...