Help with New Home setup

Bezerkin

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Recently I purchased the TP-Link TL-WDR4300 dual band router. It has the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bandwidths. I have it set up as follows:

Modem to router via LAN
Desktop to router via LAN
Two Toshiba 1TB external drives connected to USB ports on the router

Since hooking up the router I have had persistent and constant outages and it usually reconnects only a few seconds later. The outages are not confined to the wireless devices, the LAN cuts out for few seconds and interrupts my online gaming.

Im fairly new to this so any help is appreciated.

Try hooking the desktop directly to the modem and run for a while like that. This really sounds like a problem with the connection to the ISP.

I could see if it was wireless that is kinda normal for a wireless connection. Because the lan is also going down it implies a issue with the router or the connection to the router. There may be some messages in the log screen in the tools. You might be able to cause it to generate log messages not sure it does have a option though. Pretty much if you start to suspect it is the router itself your only option is to try a firmware upgrade and hope to get lucky.

Bezerkin

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
I did not disable DHCP. I will try to connect directly to the modem and see how that affects the problem. Sorry for the late response, I was out of town.