ReadyBoost and SSD Cache

Abraham_

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Hello.

I have done some tests to see how a SSD+HDD (Intel RST cache on RAID) works with ReadyBoost.

Some would suggest that ReadyBoost is useless as it does not provide any tangible performance increase to the computer once you reach Memory Capacity>2GB.

I have tested this - Windows is installed on the HDD drive whereas files and other information is cached to both the SSD AND ReadyBoost.

Using the perfmon, I have monitored ReadyBoost cache and I could see how the cache increased from 200MBit to around 2GB after a few hours of use.

In my eyes, this is quite interesting as some would say that Readyboost would not provide any boost at all. If some information have been cached to the ReadyBoost that have been placed in the SSD, why would it NOT increase system performance? There are 2GB information in the ReadyBoost that Windows deemed worthy to cache and therefore easily accessible from the SSD rather than the HDD.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I have been using the Sandisk Ready Cache ( http://www.sandisk.com/products/ssd/sata/readycache/ ) for some time on my open bench assembly rig where I test out builds. I never ran the numbers like you did, but I found a definite improvement over a HDD alone. I believe Ready Boost may be similar to the Sandisk solution.

I have a 64GB SSD caching the 2TB HDD in the system in my sig below using Intel's Rapid Storage Technology (IRST). Again, without running any test, it FEELS as fast as a discrete SSD. Awhile back, the very respected HardOCP ran a test on the Sandsisk Ready Cache when it came out, and gave it a Siver Award:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/10/17/sandisk_readycache_32gb_ssd_review/#.Usc0G7S4s6I

As I said above, I believe the Ready Boost and the Sandisk Ready Cache are quite similar. Ready Cache seemed to perform its best in gaming, for what that is worth.

popatim

Titan
Judging the benefits of readyboost by what gets stored there is not vaild methodology. First you need to prove that windows knows whats best to store there over whats best left on the SSD.Then you would test on the exact same system, One with SSD+HDD and one with READYBOOST+SSD+HDD.

I have a feeling that the SSD+HDD would win out since the SSD is going to be much faster than a usb flash drive or sd card for instance.

Abraham_

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Indeed you are correct. My methods are not scientic but based solely on assumptions. Maybe I was not clear enough but the Readyboost cache was placed on the SSD itself. That is... There are two caches on the SSD. First RST Cache and the Readyboost cache.

CoolUnicycle

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

Hi Abraham,
I am desperately searching how to enable the Readyboost Cache on an SSD. Could you give a hint here how this can be done. All I found so far is that you need the "ReadyBoost" Tab on the volume properties which is there on the properties of my SD card but not on the properties of the volume on my SSD. How did you activate this?