Dual monitor lag with AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB

chrothenbach

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
I recently got a second monitor for my setup. Both monitors are the same, 5 ms response time, 22 inches. I was running games off fine off on one monitor, at the native 1680x1050. BF4 was running at 70-100 fps, BlackOps 2 at 120-160 fps. When I connected the second monitor, the one with the game started getting laggy but I did not see any drop in frames per second.

As soon as I went back to a single monitor setup, everything was back to normal.

Is this an issue with my video card not being able to support the both monitors for games at the same time?

The rest of the setup:

Core i7 2600, Z77A-G45 mobo, 8 gb ram at 1333 mhz, 600 W PSU and the monitors are connected to the video card via an HDMI-DVI cable and a DVI-DVI cable.

Some things I will try:
1) run off the second monitor off the integrated video port
2) Play with the windows aero settings

Anything else I can try other than just using one monitor for gaming and both for when i need to work?

I did check the card and CPU temperature in both setups and there is no change, about 60-65 C for the GPU and 60 for the CPU in the same game.

--------SOLVED-------

Changed from the Aero Theme to basic theme on Windows 7 and that fixed it... beats me.

Solution
I have had no problems using a side monitor while gaming.
It is probably a 7850 driver issue.

Run your side monitor off of the motherboard integrated adapter if you can.

chrothenbach

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013

Will try that for sure, I am guessing it is possible. Seems to be an AMD problem. I read here that changing the Windows theme to Basic instead of Aero might fix it, and it seems to have done it. Will keep testing. Thanks!